ATS has really made me appreciate Hybrid Theory and Meteora a lot more. You really don't know what you have until you loose it!

I really hope that Linkin Park can sort out whatever it is they are going through and get back to producing great albums like Hybrid Theory and Meteora. I can't really relate to ATS at all.
When I listen to an album its to escape, I don't want to be reminded of the problems in this world or politics. I prefer something closer to home, and of course the perfect rap/rock balance that is signature Linkin Park. Its what made them such a great band. They need to return to their roots!

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Z3R0. Finally someone with some sense. I joined today and have been thinking about joining this site for a while now ever since ATS came out late last year. MTM was a complete and utter dissappointment after the likes of HT & Meteora. But i thought it might have been a once of to try something different and they would come back better then ever but they are just getting softer and softer and losing the metaI/rap edge that made them so bloody awesome to listen to. I joined only to voice my dissappointment at where Linkin Park seem to be heading with the hope they read comments like this and hopefully do something about making music the OLD SCHOOL Linkin Park way. If not they were a great bad that just went south but ill be forever greatful for HT & Meteora, 2 albums that i have thrashed and will continue to do so.
What I really hate about the album is that it only feels like maybe one or two sounds at most are complete. Catalyst feels finished, Wretches and Kings could have been much better it has potential but the rapping needs work (lyrics) and Chester needs to drop that accent along with Mike. The rest of the album is filler with barely any lyrics, it must really be hard to jam or sing along to ATS in a concert. Worst of all where the hell are the guitars?!

Ben Murphy said:
Z3R0. Finally someone with some sense. I joined today and have been thinking about joining this site for a while now ever since ATS came out late last year. MTM was a complete and utter dissappointment after the likes of HT & Meteora. But i thought it might have been a once of to try something different and they would come back better then ever but they are just getting softer and softer and losing the metaI/rap edge that made them so bloody awesome to listen to. I joined only to voice my dissappointment at where Linkin Park seem to be heading with the hope they read comments like this and hopefully do something about making music the OLD SCHOOL Linkin Park way. If not they were a great bad that just went south but ill be forever greatful for HT & Meteora, 2 albums that i have thrashed and will continue to do so.
Pretty accurate review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_8QfvPStwY

Lea Tidyman said:
Poor LP. They are criticised if they keep making music that sounds the same and hammered when they try something new. Dont like it? Dont listen to it. At least they followed their hearts and made the record they wanted to make. If they write just to achieve a particular sound or to please the masses then they are writing for the wrong reasons.

And even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64qgp2NvR8 funny as hell lol

z3r0 said:

Pretty accurate review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_8QfvPStwY

Lea Tidyman said:
Poor LP. They are criticised if they keep making music that sounds the same and hammered when they try something new. Dont like it? Dont listen to it. At least they followed their hearts and made the record they wanted to make. If they write just to achieve a particular sound or to please the masses then they are writing for the wrong reasons.
z3r0 said:

And even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64qgp2NvR8 funny as hell lol

Funny? He sounds like a spoilt, whiney child who has had his toys taken away. lol

"I want I want I want"

He didn't get what he wanted, so he threw a shit fit. 

What is funny is he says he didn't like The Catalyst at first but after hearing it several times he came to like it.One would think it''d be logical to to apply that experience to the rest of the album. No, instead he throws a tantrum & posts it on youtube no less. lol.

Everything he says is from an emotional knee-jerk reaction to hearing something that didn't match his wants & expectations, there were no facts to his argument.

I generally find the best songs & albums take several listens to take in.

ATS is much denser than anything they've released - ergo it needs to be listened to multiple times to process it (with an open mind, not constantly thinking about what you want and how this doesn't match it). If after that you still don't like it so be it, it's not for everyone.

Those are gross exaggerations.

z3r0 said:

What I really hate about the album is that it only feels like maybe one or two sounds at most are complete. The rest of the album is filler with barely any lyrics,

I would't say its a gross exaggeration. Lets do a track run down:

01 The Requiem - Woooo.. God save us everyone will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns with the sins of our fathers the sins of our suns at the end, barely a minute.... repeated FILLER

02 The Radiance - Voice over... FILLER

03 Burning In the Skies - Blah Lyrics soft sleeper....

04 Empty Spaces - Crickets..... FILLER

05 When They Come For Me - Bad rap lyrics with tribal beats and vocals at the end.....

06 Robot Boy - Sappy boring......

07 Jornada Del Muerto - Two words in Japanese repeated.... Real deeeep and dense O_0 FILLER

08 Waiting For The End - Wow is that a guitar I finally hear? Then a mellow acid trip Zzzz... Zzzz... I know what it takes to move on! No you don't this song just draaaaaggsss on! When will it end! Waiting sucks!

09 Black Out - More repeating with Mr. Hahn scratching hitting forward and reverse and then Mike putting us to sleep with slooow lullaby

10 Wretches and Kings - The beat had potential but the poor rap lyrics and accents by Mike and Chester ruined the song along with the chorus Hey Hey Hey.... 

11 Wisdom, Justice, And Love - Voice Over.... FILLER

12 Iridescent - This one belongs on the Haiti Hope CD or sleeper album Zzzz....

13 Fallout - REPEATING FILLER notice a trend yet? Back in the studio... Rick Rubin smokes a blunt and Mike hmm... what do you think should come next, Rick replies Like whoa a Filler man oh and do that repeat thing!

14 Catalyst - Finally a real song on the album mind you its more repeating but I can let that slide, at least it has energy and feels complete! Nice work on the music video too!

15 The Messenger - Instead of ending the album in a high note, Chester is crying! "When your suffering enough and your spirit is breaking" yeah that happens after hearing this album. I would cry too Chester after this album

So to summarize, 6 fillers, repeating lyrics, blah snore inducing lyrics, bad accents/rapping, some energy with catalyst, and crying after hearing this immensely "dense" album.

Cillian said:

z3r0 said:

What I really hate about the album is that it only feels like maybe one or two songs at most are complete. The rest of the album is filler with barely any lyrics,

I think you do not get the message of the album and what it is about. If you say "fillers" and "repeating sounds"... yes, you are right, but you have to see the whole and every song in this album is in the right place - especially "The Messenger" which is "the icing of the cake" - yes, Chaz is crying (and I cannot say that this is my favourite song) - but after all the trouble and war and destruction you hear those consoling words of love - just a perfect ending!

The lyrics are just so actual...e.g. when I saw the news regarding the crisis in North/South Korea, it immediately came to my mind: "God save us everyone"...

May I ask you how old you are? I think that maybe for the young and very young LP fans it is harder to "swallow" this album than for people who have got more experience in life...just my personal assumption, don't throw stones on me.;-)
z3r0 said:

01 The Requiem - Woooo.. God save us everyone will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns with the sins of our fathers the sins of our suns at the end, barely a minute.... repeated FILLER

05 When They Come For Me - Bad rap lyrics with tribal beats and vocals at the end.....

07 Jornada Del Muerto - Two words in Japanese repeated.... Real deeeep and dense O_0 FILLER

08 Waiting For The End - Wow is that a guitar I finally hear? Then a mellow acid trip Zzzz... Zzzz... I know what it takes to move on! No you don't this song just draaaaaggsss on! When will it end! Waiting sucks!

09 Black Out - More repeating with Mr. Hahn scratching hitting forward and reverse and then Mike putting us to sleep with slooow lullaby

10 Wretches and Kings - The beat had potential but the poor rap lyrics and accents by Mike and Chester ruined the song along with the chorus Hey Hey Hey.... 

13 Fallout - REPEATING FILLER notice a trend yet? Back in the studio... Rick Rubin smokes a blunt and Mike hmm... what do you think should come next, Rick replies Like whoa a Filler man oh and do that repeat thing!

14 Catalyst - Finally a real song on the album mind you its more repeating but I can let that slide, at least it has energy and feels complete! Nice work on the music video too!

15 The Messenger - Instead of ending the album in a high note, Chester is crying! "When your suffering enough and your spirit is breaking" yeah that happens after hearing this album. I would cry too Chester after this album

So to summarize, 6 fillers, repeating lyrics, blah snore inducing lyrics, bad accents/rapping, some energy with catalyst, and crying after hearing this immensely "dense" album.

Cillian said:

z3r0 said:

What I really hate about the album is that it only feels like maybe one or two songs at most are complete. The rest of the album is filler with barely any lyrics,

If you think criticizing them is going to make them make a different album you should get over yourself. A band that follows its heart instead of its wallet is a good thing in this world. A Thousand Suns has to be, in my opinion, just as good as all of their other albums. (Don't make me decide which one is better, you won't get a truthful answer!) This one may be a bit more creative than the last albums but it's as I've always said to many people. IF you look back at those who were considered "creative" in the past, most of them were also considered insane by some measure. I say, "Insanity is a state of mind, those who believe themselves to be sane are truly lost, those who believe themselves to be insane are the last true souls left." In our own special way, every single one of us are insane with creativity. Linkin Park's new album proves that they have some left and they want to share it with the world. If you can't see passed this, then you're truly lost to us.

If I wanted to hear about war, politics and suffering I would just turn on the news. If anything crying about it wont solve anything nor will feeling sorrow and falling into a depressive state. I'd rather do something about it and get angry at all the corruption. I'm 30, plenty mature to understand the lyrics and understand the whole "concept" album and how one song flows into another. I get the message, its the same one that is tirelessly said and played over and over again.

Music should put you in another world to escape reality if even for a song.

LPisgreat said:

I think you do not get the message of the album and what it is about. If you say "fillers" and "repeating sounds"... yes, you are right, but you have to see the whole and every song in this album is in the right place - especially "The Messenger" which is "the icing of the cake" - yes, Chaz is crying (and I cannot say that this is my favourite song) - but after all the trouble and war and destruction you hear those consoling words of love - just a perfect ending!

The lyrics are just so actual...e.g. when I saw the news regarding the crisis in North/South Korea, it immediately came to my mind: "God save us everyone"...

May I ask you how old you are? I think that maybe for the young and very young LP fans it is harder to "swallow" this album than for people who have got more experience in life...just my personal assumption, don't throw stones on me.;-)
z3r0 said:

Cillian said:

z3r0 said:

Totally agreed. That's what the album does with me...;-)

z3r0 said:

Well I can't say that it does for me, but thats a given ;)

LPisgreat said:
Totally agreed. That's what the album does with me...;-)

z3r0 said:

So how is writing about being numb & ignored & angry any better? Why is that a better place to be taken away to?

LP have never been particularly good lyricists, but they're generally better written now, so criticising ATS for having "blah" lyrics is a double standard. And repetitive? How repetitive is singing a chorus 4 times in 3 minutes like on most of their older material (not to mention the fact the subject matter itself had pretty much zero diversity) any better?

z3r0 said:

If I wanted to hear about war, politics and suffering I would just turn on the news. If anything crying about it wont solve anything nor will feeling sorrow and falling into a depressive state. I'd rather do something about it and get angry at all the corruption.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service