ATS has really made me appreciate Hybrid Theory and Meteora a lot more. You really don't know what you have until you loose it!

I really hope that Linkin Park can sort out whatever it is they are going through and get back to producing great albums like Hybrid Theory and Meteora. I can't really relate to ATS at all.
When I listen to an album its to escape, I don't want to be reminded of the problems in this world or politics. I prefer something closer to home, and of course the perfect rap/rock balance that is signature Linkin Park. Its what made them such a great band. They need to return to their roots!

Views: 176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really sorry for you ;-))

z3r0 said:
Well I can't say that it does for me, but thats a given ;)

LPisgreat said:
Totally agreed. That's what the album does with me...;-)

z3r0 said:

Music should put you in another world to escape reality if even for a song.

You know, if you use music to escape from the problems of today, I can see why you would honestly. But if that's the ONLY reason you listen to music other than the creative freedom that flows from your headphones/speakers into your ears, then you should stop listening to music. I listen to music for three reasons. First, it helps me concentrate on what I'm doing, like my school work at ITT. Second, it helps my creative juices flow from thought to paper. Lastly, I allow music to calm me down when I am frustrated or agitated. We may not like this world but for now, it's the only one we've got and we need to make a difference in it. If we can't then we must pass on our wisdom to our children so that they may have that opportunity. I'm not saying that everyone here is like that either, but my primary concern is how our world will be for our children and their children, not myself.

+1

we all listen to music for different reasons, and all those reasons are worth it. If we can understand that you hate this album, and that it doesn't allow you to escape, try to understand why we love it. We are giving you our reasons, but you're not listenning. You judge us, you think we are idiots, or on sort of "altered state" because for you it's not music, but it is. 

Richard McEvoy said:

You know, if you use music to escape from the problems of today, I can see why you would honestly. But if that's the ONLY reason you listen to music other than the creative freedom that flows from your headphones/speakers into your ears, then you should stop listening to music. I listen to music for three reasons. First, it helps me concentrate on what I'm doing, like my school work at ITT. Second, it helps my creative juices flow from thought to paper. Lastly, I allow music to calm me down when I am frustrated or agitated. We may not like this world but for now, it's the only one we've got and we need to make a difference in it. If we can't then we must pass on our wisdom to our children so that they may have that opportunity. I'm not saying that everyone here is like that either, but my primary concern is how our world will be for our children and their children, not myself.

I hate to tell you but I was not talking about everyone in general, just the lost cause known as zero. I don't hate this album for any reason, I love it. (should have read my earlier post). I know people use music for different things, I'm not blind to the needs or desires of those around me, but you should not automatically assume something until you know the whole story.

fanny schneider said:

+1

we all listen to music for different reasons, and all those reasons are worth it. If we can understand that you hate this album, and that it doesn't allow you to escape, try to understand why we love it. We are giving you our reasons, but you're not listenning. You judge us, you think we are idiots, or on sort of "altered state" because for you it's not music, but it is. 

I wasn't talking about you, the +1 was to say I agree with you, the rest was for zero ;) 

Richard McEvoy said:

I hate to tell you but I was not talking about everyone in general, just the lost cause known as zero. I don't hate this album for any reason, I love it. (should have read my earlier post). I know people use music for different things, I'm not blind to the needs or desires of those around me, but you should not automatically assume something until you know the whole story.

fanny schneider said:

+1

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. Now you can go back and crawl under your troll bridge. 

Splash said:
You're breakdown on ATS was biased and pathetic, Zero.
Never called anyone an idiot. When I said "altered state" I was exaggerating, it wasn't meant to be literal.

fanny schneider said:

+1

Richard McEvoy said:

Sorry about that, i didn't know what +1 was, not exactly one of those people who are up-to-date on internet lingo.

fanny schneider said:

I wasn't talking about you, the +1 was to say I agree with you, the rest was for zero ;) 

Richard McEvoy said:

fanny schneider said:

+1

I know you're lonely under that bridge and want some company, but you're just not my type. So whatever sick fantasy that you have you can forget them. Whatever you do at home with your free time and with other trolls is your business.

So seriously just STFU.

Splash said:

Only an Idiot would say this and blame it on sarcasm. Certainly, it would suit you better if you shut yourself under the troll bridge.

z3r0 said:

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. Now you can go back and crawl under your troll bridge. 

Splash said:
Guys, you are off-topic... ;-)

Splash said:

Why would i have to forget what i fantazise? It's called fantasy for a reason you know? Don't know? Could have guessed that...

Exactly, and what I am doing here right now is my business.

Over to you.

z3r0 said:

I know you're lonely under that bridge and want some company, but you're just not my type. So whatever sick fantasy that you have you can forget them. Whatever you do at home with your free time and with other trolls is your business.

So seriously just STFU.

Splash said:

Only an Idiot would say this and blame it on sarcasm. Certainly, it would suit you better if you shut yourself under the troll bridge.

z3r0 said:

Splash said:

I can only say, unfortunately without any eloquence at all, that I HAVE NEVER LIKED LINKIN PARK... never. They just weren't my thing. I never outright hated them but I always changed the channel.

Then, I heard the tail end of a new song off ATS and decided it might be worth listening to in its entirety so I went and did just that. Then it seemed like listening to the whole album would be an equally worthwhile idea.

And all the tactlessness of my first statement was erased by the album. I'm so happy with ATS that I regularly listen to it  from back to front.

I have found ATS to be a wonderfully contemplative series of songs with a cohesive flow that's incredibly tight. Despite the many musical and lyrical dichotomies, they nevertheless form awesome parallels.

I'm not trying to argue my opinion into other people's hearts, I really just wanted to say it out loud because I think a lot of people forget that they CAN change their mind about something they were always so sure of and I'm grateful I'm not someone who has become satisfied with what I like and don't like.

I guess I'm lucky because I never would have thought I'd like Linkin Park this much and may never have bothered with ATS seeing as how there seems to be quite a bit of hyperbole regarding people's negative opinions of it... but it's a lot better than many of the knee-jerk reactions could have led me to believe.

Although, in all honesty, as a newcomer to the band, I have since gone backwards and listened to past albums and I don't find ATS to be so terribly off the tracks as it were. It feels like a progression and to say it's "mature" is actually a bit crass by definition and the band deserves a bit more credit than that. They haven't "matured" as it were but rather progressed their sound and explored different places and themes, which feels like it's led them beyond their usual but also back full circle again with room for embellishment.

Sadly though, when a band changes it almost always alienates the majority of its fan-base but it shouldn't be viewed as the end all be all of the band's future and the fans' relationship to their music.

Hopefully that won't be the case for most and they can give it enough time for the "grow on you" factor to come into play and allow them to absorb the album in a different frame of mind without specific expectations.

PS: If you want a perfect example of talent sh!tting in its own bed without a napkin, compare Metallica's Ride the Lighting, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice for All to everything that came after them...

Well said, defectively...at least up until the bit about Metallica ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service