ATS has really made me appreciate Hybrid Theory and Meteora a lot more. You really don't know what you have until you loose it!

I really hope that Linkin Park can sort out whatever it is they are going through and get back to producing great albums like Hybrid Theory and Meteora. I can't really relate to ATS at all.
When I listen to an album its to escape, I don't want to be reminded of the problems in this world or politics. I prefer something closer to home, and of course the perfect rap/rock balance that is signature Linkin Park. Its what made them such a great band. They need to return to their roots!

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

People are not listening to the music for good music, but only for what fits their false impression of a "signature sound". Each artist is in a box established by the first thing they made. i.e Linkin Park for angsty lyrics and drop-d guitars, Eminem for Rap, Lady Gaga for pop, etc. And I find this comment from you "if i wanted to hear about war then i'd turn on the news" very hilarious. NEWS FLASH: Linkin Park music has always been about confronting problems, be it war, political opression, drug and sexual abuse, etc. HT and M dealt with adolescent crises (why not go to a youth seminar for that eh), MTM and ATS explore the subject of war, politics, death, accountability and even (in some places) religion. They are not a band you would listen to for 'escape'. Go listen to Fall Out Boy if you want a band that makes songs about parties and girls and debauchery. I listen to them as an 'escape'. Linkin Park is not some band that says "fuck you i don't give a shit" about world problems. Don't be so egocentric and think that everything must be written to your taste, the band can sing/write about whatever they feel. They are entitled to their opinion as much as you are to yours.

Have a nice day.

z3r0 said:

If I wanted to hear about war, politics and suffering I would just turn on the news. If anything crying about it wont solve anything nor will feeling sorrow and falling into a depressive state. I'd rather do something about it and get angry at all the corruption. I'm 30, plenty mature to understand the lyrics and understand the whole "concept" album and how one song flows into another. I get the message, its the same one that is tirelessly said and played over and over again.

Music should put you in another world to escape reality if even for a song.

LPisgreat said:

I think you do not get the message of the album and what it is about. If you say "fillers" and "repeating sounds"... yes, you are right, but you have to see the whole and every song in this album is in the right place - especially "The Messenger" which is "the icing of the cake" - yes, Chaz is crying (and I cannot say that this is my favourite song) - but after all the trouble and war and destruction you hear those consoling words of love - just a perfect ending!

The lyrics are just so actual...e.g. when I saw the news regarding the crisis in North/South Korea, it immediately came to my mind: "God save us everyone"...

May I ask you how old you are? I think that maybe for the young and very young LP fans it is harder to "swallow" this album than for people who have got more experience in life...just my personal assumption, don't throw stones on me.;-)
z3r0 said:

I would't say its a gross exaggeration. Lets do a track run down:

01 The Requiem - Woooo.. God save us everyone will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns with the sins of our fathers the sins of our suns at the end, barely a minute.... repeated FILLER

02 The Radiance - Voice over... FILLER

03 Burning In the Skies - Blah Lyrics soft sleeper....

04 Empty Spaces - Crickets..... FILLER

05 When They Come For Me - Bad rap lyrics with tribal beats and vocals at the end.....

06 Robot Boy - Sappy boring......

07 Jornada Del Muerto - Two words in Japanese repeated.... Real deeeep and dense O_0 FILLER

08 Waiting For The End - Wow is that a guitar I finally hear? Then a mellow acid trip Zzzz... Zzzz... I know what it takes to move on! No you don't this song just draaaaaggsss on! When will it end! Waiting sucks!

09 Black Out - More repeating with Mr. Hahn scratching hitting forward and reverse and then Mike putting us to sleep with slooow lullaby

10 Wretches and Kings - The beat had potential but the poor rap lyrics and accents by Mike and Chester ruined the song along with the chorus Hey Hey Hey.... 

11 Wisdom, Justice, And Love - Voice Over.... FILLER

12 Iridescent - This one belongs on the Haiti Hope CD or sleeper album Zzzz....

13 Fallout - REPEATING FILLER notice a trend yet? Back in the studio... Rick Rubin smokes a blunt and Mike hmm... what do you think should come next, Rick replies Like whoa a Filler man oh and do that repeat thing!

14 Catalyst - Finally a real song on the album mind you its more repeating but I can let that slide, at least it has energy and feels complete! Nice work on the music video too!

15 The Messenger - Instead of ending the album in a high note, Chester is crying! "When your suffering enough and your spirit is breaking" yeah that happens after hearing this album. I would cry too Chester after this album

So to summarize, 6 fillers, repeating lyrics, blah snore inducing lyrics, bad accents/rapping, some energy with catalyst, and crying after hearing this immensely "dense" album.

Cillian said:

Those are gross exaggerations.

z3r0 said:

What I really hate about the album is that it only feels like maybe one or two songs at most are complete. The rest of the album is filler with barely any lyrics,

"I'd rather do something about it instead of moaning". Mike and Chester donning body armor and assault rifles to assassinate the "Wretches and Kings". Please, that is just terribly ironic considering HT and M were about the constantly reoccurring subject of anger, pain and despair.  You guys act as if HT and M were made by God himself and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them, whereas the devil made 'A Thousand Suns' and everything about it counts for a -1 simply because you don't like it. What hypocrisy.
z3r0 said:

If I wanted to hear about war, politics and suffering I would just turn on the news. If anything crying about it wont solve anything nor will feeling sorrow and falling into a depressive state. I'd rather do something about it and get angry at all the corruption. I'm 30, plenty mature to understand the lyrics and understand the whole "concept" album and how one song flows into another. I get the message, its the same one that is tirelessly said and played over and over again.

Music should put you in another world to escape reality if even for a song.

LPisgreat said:

I think you do not get the message of the album and what it is about. If you say "fillers" and "repeating sounds"... yes, you are right, but you have to see the whole and every song in this album is in the right place - especially "The Messenger" which is "the icing of the cake" - yes, Chaz is crying (and I cannot say that this is my favourite song) - but after all the trouble and war and destruction you hear those consoling words of love - just a perfect ending!

The lyrics are just so actual...e.g. when I saw the news regarding the crisis in North/South Korea, it immediately came to my mind: "God save us everyone"...

May I ask you how old you are? I think that maybe for the young and very young LP fans it is harder to "swallow" this album than for people who have got more experience in life...just my personal assumption, don't throw stones on me.;-)
z3r0 said:

I would't say its a gross exaggeration. Lets do a track run down:

01 The Requiem - Woooo.. God save us everyone will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns with the sins of our fathers the sins of our suns at the end, barely a minute.... repeated FILLER

02 The Radiance - Voice over... FILLER

03 Burning In the Skies - Blah Lyrics soft sleeper....

04 Empty Spaces - Crickets..... FILLER

05 When They Come For Me - Bad rap lyrics with tribal beats and vocals at the end.....

06 Robot Boy - Sappy boring......

07 Jornada Del Muerto - Two words in Japanese repeated.... Real deeeep and dense O_0 FILLER

08 Waiting For The End - Wow is that a guitar I finally hear? Then a mellow acid trip Zzzz... Zzzz... I know what it takes to move on! No you don't this song just draaaaaggsss on! When will it end! Waiting sucks!

09 Black Out - More repeating with Mr. Hahn scratching hitting forward and reverse and then Mike putting us to sleep with slooow lullaby

10 Wretches and Kings - The beat had potential but the poor rap lyrics and accents by Mike and Chester ruined the song along with the chorus Hey Hey Hey.... 

11 Wisdom, Justice, And Love - Voice Over.... FILLER

12 Iridescent - This one belongs on the Haiti Hope CD or sleeper album Zzzz....

13 Fallout - REPEATING FILLER notice a trend yet? Back in the studio... Rick Rubin smokes a blunt and Mike hmm... what do you think should come next, Rick replies Like whoa a Filler man oh and do that repeat thing!

14 Catalyst - Finally a real song on the album mind you its more repeating but I can let that slide, at least it has energy and feels complete! Nice work on the music video too!

15 The Messenger - Instead of ending the album in a high note, Chester is crying! "When your suffering enough and your spirit is breaking" yeah that happens after hearing this album. I would cry too Chester after this album

So to summarize, 6 fillers, repeating lyrics, blah snore inducing lyrics, bad accents/rapping, some energy with catalyst, and crying after hearing this immensely "dense" album.

Cillian said:

z3r0 said:

What I really hate about the album is that it only feels like maybe one or two songs at most are complete. The rest of the album is filler with barely any lyrics,

If you have not been living under a rock, you would have known that the recorded music industry is going down a drainpipe, people do not buy albums as much as they did in the 90's. Piratebay takes more credit than HMV does. It sold low, but it sold the most that week. ATS is a commercial success. Hopefully they won't cave in to the pressure and release something which bases itself solely on your definition of "real music". Hybrid Theory was in 2000. ATS was 2010, between those ten years the band had explored different genres and had grown out of and into certain things. If you are a robot who MUST do the same things, act the same way and not do anything fresh forever then you're free to be that robot. Just don't force it on anyone else.

Now, if ATS sounds nothing like their previous work, then they are actually being artists. What happened to the good old days when bands snubbed mediocrity, took risks detrimental to album sales (as ATS is) and tried to depict something unique by their own standards? Those days died when fans and record companies decided that bands were just tools used to satisfy self and wallets respectively. What we see now is rehash after rehash after rehash till kingdom come with a lot of bands.

This is why this industry is in a downward spiral. Too much production line music. The reason I'm proud of Linkin Park is that they avoided that.

z3r0 said:

ATS is not about "maturing" it sounds nothing like their previous work. The only song in the Album that feels complete os Catalyst the rest are fillers. Even MTM that was a bad album had at least three good songs and guitars. ATS is an experiment gone wrong. Record sales are really low for an LP album, MTM was leaked early and still sold 675,000. So any BS to explain the low numbers is to hide the fact that the album was/is a failure. Hopefully they'll go back to making real music and let the hollow ATS branch wither and die. BTW, typos happen.

Keven Dunham said:
The thing about roots is that something grows from their roots, never returns to them. ATS is them maturing, trying to push their own limits. BTW, "lose" has only one "o". Not two.

Well said Storm_Rider00, well said. I think I'll listen to some Linkin Park now. XD

Now about this comment...

z3r0

"ATS is not about "maturing" it sounds nothing like their previous work. The only song in the Album that feels complete os Catalyst the rest are fillers. Even MTM that was a bad album had at least three good songs and guitars. ATS is an experiment gone wrong. Record sales are really low for an LP album, MTM was leaked early and still sold 675,000. So any BS to explain the low numbers is to hide the fact that the album was/is a failure. Hopefully they'll go back to making real music and let the hollow ATS branch wither and die. BTW, typos happen."

This statement alone proves there are somethings you should and should not be. You definitely shouldn't be a critic because critics, first off, never make mistakes so typos don't happen. A critic would also have called A Thousand Suns a great success considering, as Storm_Rider00 said, CD sales have gone down the toilet since the birth of torrenting and programs like bit-torrent. Yet they manage to sell a great deal more CDs then most expected of it.

Now how you said that it was a bad "experiment gone wrong" but I believe, and any real fan would, that this album is a great piece of work. This album proves that Linkin Park is not out there to line their pockets with money, but it is happening, they did it to express their creative freedom that shouldn't be seen as bad. Criticizing that fact only makes you the smaller person in this already small world. There is a lot of music I don't like but you don't see me slandering their names on their own website. If you don't know the meaning of Tact, I will teach it to you. Tact is the ability to deal with others without causing offense, and if I'm coming off as offensive, i apologize now. That is not my goal, my goal is to defend Linkin Park's right to express themselves to the fullest. To blatantly insult their work on their site is a complete disregard for how they feel and how they might work on another album. I honestly hope they lose you as a fan because one person doesn't change the course of progress, it never has or ever will.

Now I dare you to pick one or two things out of this to use against me, I am impervious to the words of criticism and will not tolerate a blatant disregard for the consideration of other people. Your attempts at "flaming" or "burning" or whatever, don't work. And for the sake of arguing, I've been a dedicated fan of theirs ever since I heard Hybrid Theory. Oh, and before I forget, I'd like to see you write a twelve song CD and see it sell by the thousands.

He didn't even have an argument. He just kept on repeating "Techno-pop bullshit" a lot of times. "I want chester screaming, I want mike rapping, I want a five-minute headbanger." What a way to narrow one's mind.

Cillian said:
z3r0 said:

And even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64qgp2NvR8 funny as hell lol

Funny? He sounds like a spoilt, whiney child who has had his toys taken away. lol

"I want I want I want"

He didn't get what he wanted, so he threw a shit fit. 

What is funny is he says he didn't like The Catalyst at first but after hearing it several times he came to like it.One would think it''d be logical to to apply that experience to the rest of the album. No, instead he throws a tantrum & posts it on youtube no less. lol.

Everything he says is from an emotional knee-jerk reaction to hearing something that didn't match his wants & expectations, there were no facts to his argument.

I generally find the best songs & albums take several listens to take in.

ATS is much denser than anything they've released - ergo it needs to be listened to multiple times to process it (with an open mind, not constantly thinking about what you want and how this doesn't match it). If after that you still don't like it so be it, it's not for everyone.

z3r0 said:

What I really hate about the album is that it only feels like maybe one or two sounds at most are complete. The rest of the album is filler with barely any lyrics,

I found the album very strange in the beginning. But over time,I started to love it. The ATS has a different energy that others could not achieve. And Mike and the chester sing in one voice. (I loved the results)
What I like Linkin Park is that they are always doing something new. Every moment oftheir lives, good or bad, the album shows that.
But everyone has their opinion and we should respect
I do respect his opinion but when he totally and undoubtedly displays the opinion in question on the very band's site he's criticizing in a way that displays absolutely zero tact, I find that rather offensive. If I saw this on another site, I wouldn't be as offended but it's not. The only thing insults have ever done for people is get them hurt or tossed aside, forgotten. Those who don't realize this now are lost, especially for a thirty year old. His opinion is also completely hypocritical, wanting them to return to what they started as means no real progression which leads to the very "repeating" he detests but on his level. A band that has no real room for growth is only flailing around until the inevitable hits and they lose it all, that's why music is slowly a dieing industry. People don't see paying fifteen to thirty dollars or more for an album that is a basic repeat of the last one, or the one before that. Most bands don't branch out and explore beyond their "safe-zones". Linkin Park is showing the world just how different they are by producing a sound that no one expects from their albums. Music doesn't exactly have to have any lyrics at all in it, if they honestly wanted to they could have made an album without a single word in it. Any person with a creative up-brining of any kind would call that brilliant and a true expression of one's self. If people cannot truly express themselves in this day and age, the world would better off dead.

lol, old LP music was DOPE!!! shit was tight, could bump it and it had rhythim , now its sad...and slow...and not rock..and not linkin park, just a name.

If a person is emo its their own fault, you can cut yourself by listening to eminem if your really that desperate, damn.

Lyrics arent "grown up" its just a whole different topic, heck it doesnt even matter if its a different topic its just not catchy its all slow and suppose to make u sad....this decade blows dick at making music. every band not just LP.

90's was the best and early 2000's

ATS is trash. 2 songs was good, and $15 for 2 songs is a ripoff!
Seriously, dude. You are making no fucking sense, what does Eminem have to do with being 'emo'. How is slow music supposed to "make you sad"? People like you puzzle me, honestly.

Rome said:

lol, old LP music was DOPE!!! shit was tight, could bump it and it had rhythim , now its sad...and slow...and not rock..and not linkin park, just a name.

If a person is emo its their own fault, you can cut yourself by listening to eminem if your really that desperate, damn.

Lyrics arent "grown up" its just a whole different topic, heck it doesnt even matter if its a different topic its just not catchy its all slow and suppose to make u sad....this decade blows dick at making music. every band not just LP.

90's was the best and early 2000's

There are those who do not see the true potential in humankind, those who would be the same as those without eyes and ears. Creativity is the spark of ingenuity that sparked many revolutions, wars, peace-times and alliances, without the spark that we call creativity, the world would be colorless and void of true life. Without life, what are we to truly call ourselves other than machines, devoid of even the most simplest of feelings. Song, Dance, Books, Business, Corporations would not exist without the spark of creativity and neither would greed. The most simplest of things could be seen as ingenious or complex. Those who would limit what they see and what they believe are lost in the void of nothingness. Those who see more than what is given are those who would triumph over mind, body and soul to ever move forward towards the gates of destiny.

If you do not understand the meaning of my words, than you are one of the lost.

Storm_Rider00 said:
Seriously, dude. You are making no fucking sense, what does Eminem have to do with being 'emo'. How is slow music supposed to "make you sad"? People like you puzzle me, honestly.
Your pissin me off right now, cuz you dont READ. I said if your emo you can cut yourself while listening to Eminem and he has nothing to do with being EMO! like damn, THINK before ou speak.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service