I've loved Linkin Park since "In the End", it's fair to say they are my favorite band, and to be honest A Thousand Suns is an insult to all previous fans of Linkin Park.  

I understand they are trying to do new things. Fine, do new things.  But don't isolate your already established fan base.  With Minutes to Midnight there were new things, for example they ditched the Nu-Metal sound and there was even a guitar solo during the song "In Pieces" which I don't recall having happened before and many other differences.  But MTM still had other songs that catered to the fans that had been around since the beginning. It was a fair compromise.

A Thousand Suns does just the opposite.  The song list was advertised initially as 15, and I thought to myself, "Wow, that's awesome, they'll have one instrumental and then likely go about half and half, keeping their fans happy and trying more new things."  Unfortunately that's not how it turned out.  I can't even say there's an instrumental in the album, instead there are 5 filler tracks.  I wouldn't even call that music.  I could take an old recording and synthesize it to make it sound robotic/different.  That alone is a slap in the face to the entire fan base.  Then there's the songs themselves that sound nothing like Linkin Park.  Mike doesn't even sound the same rapping, and that's a problem.  We as fans should at least be able to recognize the band.

Please don't buy this album. I would like my money and my favorite band back.  The true fans have waited around for 3 and a half years so Chester could go do his "solo" things and are left empty handed.  This is not the Linkin Park I know, and that disappoints me to even acknowledge.  Last I checked fans matter, and A Thousand Suns is a monument of ignorance.

Tags: A, Suns, Thousand

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't get why people are so upset that the new album isn't like older stuff. It isn't a personal insult, it isn't an affront to nature, it isn't Linkin Park breaking into your house, then holding you at gunpoint making you listen to their album. What A Thousand Suns is, is an album of music they wanted to make.
David Matthew Channell said:
I don't get why people are so upset that the new album isn't like older stuff. It isn't a personal insult, it isn't an affront to nature, it isn't Linkin Park breaking into your house, then holding you at gunpoint making you listen to their album. What A Thousand Suns is, is an album of music they wanted to make.

Yes. But there's also a thing called fan-service. No they aren't forcing me to buy it, but let's put it this way. If you had been buying a product from a corporation that worked extremely well for 10 year, then all of a sudden when you upgraded to the new version that they had been promoting and it didn't work nearly as well as the others, wouldn't you be frustrated? It's the same sort of scenario. I didn't say it had to be exactly like their older stuff, but it didn't have to distance itself from it entirely, if that was the case they might as well release it under a new name.

And please, inform me how you can justify 5 filler tracks. I would love to hear that argument. Without that I might more readily agree with you. That's just lazy, it's not musical talent to do that and it's not really promoting much of a message. "The Little Things Give You Away" was a pretty good song with a message and it was still a song. That's the point.
I agree to a certain extent. I have actually enjoyed this album a lot but the filler tracks are complete BULL SHIT for sure. 9 songs is just a screw u to fans. I do think there is old LP here with a couple songs, and a few new style LP songs, then a couple that anyone could do. Is it a good album, NO, are there some good songs YES. Is it worth waiting 3.5 yrs for to pay 35 bux to PRE ORDER your favorite bands album to get 9 songs NOOOOO. I have been a big fan sinc HT, and I dont want OLD LP but I do want more songs like Wretches and Kings or Blackout or When they come for me. THose are my favorites and I enjoy Mikes rapping and style change up. Requiem, Radiance, Empty SPaces, Jornada Del Muerto,. Wisdom Justice and LOve, Fallout and the Messenger are a freaking joke which is 8 FUCKING TRACKS. THAT IS AN UTTER FAILURE IN MY BOOK.
I don't see them as so many filler tracks. Yeah there is some fat on this album that could be cut out, but lets break this down shall we?
"The Requiem and The Radiance" I count as one song. So that's -1 to the total. Down to 14.
"Empty Spaces" I don't get that... - 1 Down to 13.
"Jornada del Muerto" yeah...could be counted as a Cure for the Itch but -1 Down to 12.
"Wisdom Justice and Love" is just too freaking powerful to count as filler. NO deduction.
"Fallout" Yeah... filler filler filler -1

IMO grand total is 11, just one short of a certain CD that people count as the best thing to ever happen to music...and I even discounted one that I count as the spiritual successor of "Cure for the Itch".
David Matthew Channell said:
I don't see them as so many filler tracks. Yeah there is some fat on this album that could be cut out, but lets break this down shall we?
"The Requiem and The Radiance" I count as one song. So that's -1 to the total. Down to 14.
"Empty Spaces" I don't get that... - 1 Down to 13.
"Jornada del Muerto" yeah...could be counted as a Cure for the Itch but -1 Down to 12.
"Wisdom Justice and Love" is just too freaking powerful to count as filler. NO deduction.
"Fallout" Yeah... filler filler filler -1

IMO grand total is 11, just one short of a certain CD that people count as the best thing to ever happen to music...and I even discounted one that I count as the spiritual successor of "Cure for the Itch".

Fair enough. But I don't see many of those as things that you are going to listen to over and over again. Sure Wisdom Justic and Love had some power to it. But can you honestly tell me you are going to put the CD in and be like "Man I really want to listen to that song"? I can't. And that's the issue. I may be pointing out all the negatives, but I really don't feel as much energy behind the songs. It's just not something I'm excited to listen to. I'm tired of all the melodramatic crap. Sure, Shadow of the Day was good. But a whole album of almost the same theme is too much.
5 "filler songs"? They're not songs, but bridges between to make the album seem like one continuous song
I COMPLETELY agree, I LOOVE LP but this album is soo WTF? Yes there are a COUPLE of good songs..but that filler shit is just ridiculous!!
Dont Buy :D, go and listen other band guys, Linkin Park is much for us. Linkin Park is a good ban, but us are a very stupid boys and girls. Grow Up.
ARE YOU BLOODY KIDDING ME?

I have been a fan since HT & HTEP. Reanimation was incredible. Meteora I took as an Extension of HT.

M2M = total pile of crap.

Why was all of the above great and M2M crap?

Because LP was original and innovative. A thousand Suns is going back to what LP stands for. Fusion of various musical styles and elements to create new and interesting sounds. REMEMBER they were called Hybrid Theory before they were ever called Linkin Park.

As far as I am concerned people crying over new metal are a bunch of annoying moody emo kids jumping on the MTV bandwagon. Get real. Music should be artistic, not commercial.
We are grown up that's why we can see that an album that should have been a 15 track awesome album turned out to be a 8 song decent album with a couple great songs.
True, the number of tracks is seemingly less than expected, but I suppose quality and not quantity?
I agree with you Sam..

@ J Do not assume we are all lil kids..some of us are actually grown ADULTS AND WE STILL ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THIS..and what are you talking about, I could have sworn LP was just on the MTV awards a few nights ago

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service