I've loved Linkin Park since "In the End", it's fair to say they are my favorite band, and to be honest A Thousand Suns is an insult to all previous fans of Linkin Park.  

I understand they are trying to do new things. Fine, do new things.  But don't isolate your already established fan base.  With Minutes to Midnight there were new things, for example they ditched the Nu-Metal sound and there was even a guitar solo during the song "In Pieces" which I don't recall having happened before and many other differences.  But MTM still had other songs that catered to the fans that had been around since the beginning. It was a fair compromise.

A Thousand Suns does just the opposite.  The song list was advertised initially as 15, and I thought to myself, "Wow, that's awesome, they'll have one instrumental and then likely go about half and half, keeping their fans happy and trying more new things."  Unfortunately that's not how it turned out.  I can't even say there's an instrumental in the album, instead there are 5 filler tracks.  I wouldn't even call that music.  I could take an old recording and synthesize it to make it sound robotic/different.  That alone is a slap in the face to the entire fan base.  Then there's the songs themselves that sound nothing like Linkin Park.  Mike doesn't even sound the same rapping, and that's a problem.  We as fans should at least be able to recognize the band.

Please don't buy this album. I would like my money and my favorite band back.  The true fans have waited around for 3 and a half years so Chester could go do his "solo" things and are left empty handed.  This is not the Linkin Park I know, and that disappoints me to even acknowledge.  Last I checked fans matter, and A Thousand Suns is a monument of ignorance.

Tags: A, Suns, Thousand

Views: 415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love Linkin Park from the very beginning. I can't believe it's already 10 years... lol..
The new album is brilliant.. music is changing, people are changing, the world is changing... I also changed with time, and I could even risk to say that this is the best album of LP.. but really i am not able to decide which one is the best... each of them is great.. just for the moment it feels better to listen to this album than to for example hybrid theory.. which by the way I absolutely love.
When I first heard A Thousand Suns I thought that it's very grown up. You can see the difference.. i like it. I will come back to this album many times later in my life.
Do You know what is so cool about LP? That every album is different..
Everyone has moments in life when he's angry, sad, happy, full of energy, depressed etc. A person lives a life, changes the way of thinking, feeling.. whatever stage in life one is living can simply grab one of the albums of LP ..whatever he feels like..and one shall feel that "he's not alone"..i don't know if u understand what I mean.. - for every stage in life u need different music, and LP has it all. I do like this.. I'm constantly coming back to their albums.. for me it's more than just music, art.. it is a big part of who I am today.. memories, etc... suprisingly... Today A Thousands Suns is perfect for me and it couldn't be better.
For all of You who claim that u're disappointed with the new album - maybe now u don't like it but with time, even with some years u won't be able to stop listening to it over and over again... even if today u say "no way!"... your life will go on..and one day u'll understand and u'll admire A Thousand Suns ; )
I tend to agree that this album might be the best album from them outside of being too short and the fillers, however it did make a nice clean flowing complete album as short as it may b.. I have been listening since day one and I loved hybrid and meteora, M2M was my least fave of the three, this one couldn't b any better for my age group now, not doing drugs anymore, being pissed at the world, lost, depressed that's old lp for me, and thousands is perfect for right now. Live shows will have it all, do urself a favor and go see all of it live and then judge it, u mite change ur mind
The music we listen and the way we interpret it says a lot about how grown up we really are. I dont consider that any of their albums are crap. In fact, I believe that by listening to their music you can understand that they have grown and change like everyone is suppose to. They have experimented with different things and their love for music as well as their believe of the liberty of expression it brings shows up in every single song. Maybe the new sound of their album is not for you or maybe, like most of the human population, you guys are afraid of change. Truth is everything changes, and the fact that the unexpected still remains makes living worthwhile.
9 tracks.
Im happy, for sure.
HT was too good. Meteora was also. M2M was outstanding.
And ATS lived up to the repo, went #1 in many many countries.
Personally, if they'd release something like their older songs, id quit being a linkin park fan.
What many of you dont realize is that, the constant change in thier music, is the MOST prominent part IN thier music.
Im looking for them to keep up the creativity, and distinction and hope the next album would have a little more tracks thats all.
well said !

Chii said:
I love Linkin Park from the very beginning. I can't believe it's already 10 years... lol..
The new album is brilliant.. music is changing, people are changing, the world is changing... I also changed with time, and I could even risk to say that this is the best album of LP.. but really i am not able to decide which one is the best... each of them is great.. just for the moment it feels better to listen to this album than to for example hybrid theory.. which by the way I absolutely love.
When I first heard A Thousand Suns I thought that it's very grown up. You can see the difference.. i like it. I will come back to this album many times later in my life.
Do You know what is so cool about LP? That every album is different..
Everyone has moments in life when he's angry, sad, happy, full of energy, depressed etc. A person lives a life, changes the way of thinking, feeling.. whatever stage in life one is living can simply grab one of the albums of LP ..whatever he feels like..and one shall feel that "he's not alone"..i don't know if u understand what I mean.. - for every stage in life u need different music, and LP has it all. I do like this.. I'm constantly coming back to their albums.. for me it's more than just music, art.. it is a big part of who I am today.. memories, etc... suprisingly... Today A Thousands Suns is perfect for me and it couldn't be better.
For all of You who claim that u're disappointed with the new album - maybe now u don't like it but with time, even with some years u won't be able to stop listening to it over and over again... even if today u say "no way!"... your life will go on..and one day u'll understand and u'll admire A Thousand Suns ; )
I completely agree with this article. I like old LP's style. Some of old tracks were realy GREAT and some tracks weren't so cool. But i liked it much more then the Thousands suns with pop songs in it.
So we will wait new album with corrected problems in it!
U will be waiting forever. This is there new direction, it will never b HT or METEORA again, that game is over. U either enjoy the change, which I do because I still here plenty of old school lp in there unlike M2M. So I believe this was a big step up from 4 good songs on M2M to 9 great songs on a thousand suns.
Roman - pop songs? lol.. it doesn't seem u know much about music... forgive me but if u like old LP style, listen to their old albums..
You don't have to like their new album- "go to listen to something else..." ... problems... the problem is not with their new music problem is with you receiving it... U don't need to like it.. The artist is free to do whatever he feels like. It isn't obligatory for them to do over and over again the same things...than u'd be complaing " 10 years and they still do the same? boooring... " One can never be happy... vicious circle...
I really enjoy A Thounsand Suns... U can feel how perfect it is, how much work, heart and creativity they put in it..
It isn't luck of respect to fans from they side while changing a little the style.. it is their right..
stop judging.. look at your own life- do u do the things in your life in an exactly same way that u did 10 years ago???
I agree in a way and I do love lp n the new album but, I can also see how people get really offended and feel let down from this big of a change, M2M and now ATS. It is like if eminem fans got a pop album and then a country album, they would b pissed.Now it isn't that extreme in some ways but in a way it is, bak to bak to bak, HT, METEORA and REANIMATION all had that hardcore angry, deppresed rage filled with tight beats, guitars and lyrics. Now we have moved to a terrible representation of lp with M2M and then to almost an entirely new sound and band, more mature, better musically but completely different. I love it tho outside of only 9 songs, but I can see some fans hating it and feeling betrayed by lp. I listen to a lot of muzic and it is rare a popular band switches styles like this, but it has also been a decade so shuld b understandable
Sorry, but my english is not enough good(as i'm only a student) and i could express my impressions uncorrectly. I just wanted to say that it's not that what I expected!
Linkin Park is no longer a band for its fans, but an artist using its brand to promote wider talents that are jack of all but king of none. Respect is only earned by those within, while "new music" is only understood by people who respect LP for its brand. Brands evolve and can hit new heights with new innovation, but the spirit and its soul must be kept, unless isolating loyalty and reaching for the new audience. Creators always dream of new iconic elements, but professionals confirm the direction before launch, as listeners are not mannequin paying to get crashed in the new experiment.
There is a lot of interesting points in what everyone said before. But you have to sort out the arguments & the lamentation of disappointed fans.

Let's be clear : saying "this is crap", "this is shit", is not an argument, neither is "this is not music". Everybody has the right to have a point of view and feelings, but a debate is about arguments.

Also, people who don't like the album and criticize it are not some "retarded kids", they're just disappointed people. Age has nothing to do with it. You can be young and have the most interesting things to say, be old and be the most narrow minded person in the world, and vice versa.

It is not a question of "growing up" to appreciate ATS, the terms are inappropriate. But it is a question of evolution. I'm not saying that those who don't like the album are retarded, but they're just not on the same path than the band and those who like the album. So now, my impression is that the detractors of the album are people who felt really connected to the band, and who, now, because this band went his own way feel abandoned.

But the band doesn't belong to its fans. I'll cite Cillian, if he doesn't mind, who said something right about that :

"Pixie Ray said:

Has anyone read the interview they did with Kerrang in the Aug 28th, issue 1327? Please, before passing any judgement on my post READ IT. Yes, I am dissapointed in the new album but hey I can get over it and hope and pray they are going to go back to their old stuff on their next album. What has REALLY PISSED ME OFF is that article. Basically, it makes it sound like they stuck their fingers up at their fans.

cillian: No no no, you're all wrong there dude. They flipped off the "fans" who think the fact they bought a CD or gig ticket that they can dictate to the band what kind of music they should be writing. Reading your post, you would fall into that category.

Pixie: They wanted to do something different and couldn't give a shit what anyone else thought.

cillian: Damn straight, & more power too them. They shouldn't give a shit what the fans want them to write. If you like it good, enjoy the ride while it lasts. If you don't like it fine, you can get off whenever you want.

Pixie: That really upset me. After all, without their fans where the hell would they be?

Cillian: This is the attitude that I find mindboggling.
It doesn't matter and it's very arrogant to assume you can hold the "where would you be without us" card over their head to try to control them. They can and do show their appreciation in other ways.

If you became a fan when they were doing what they wanted, why should they stop doing what they want after that point? To keep you spending money on them?
If you answered "Yes" to that then you actually want them to sell out. That's "sell out" in it's true form -- The sacrifice of artistic integrity for monetary gain.

Pixie: Yes, you are the artists and should be allowed to do what you like with your music. But shouldn't they also consider others, especially their fans when they are the ones supporting them, listening to them, cheering them on?

Cillian: No! They shouldn't consider anyone else. At all. And that paragraph is totally contradictory. "Yeah, do what you want, just as long as it's what I want you to do."

Buying their CD doesn't give you an in to tell them what to do, nor does it obligate the band to cater to your whims.
Full stop. Period. End of fucking story.

Pixie: Instead, they sounded like selfish egotistical twats that wanted to do what they wanted to do and couldn't give a shit on what others thought.

Cillian: They must be selfish and controlling if they want this kind of career, otherwise they'll have other people (fans, The Label) interfering at every turn and the end piece will not accurately represent them *cough* Meteora *cough*."

I can understand that it's "painful" to "loose" a band that's been by your side for years. But life is like that. You have friends / boyfriends / girlfriends, some will be there forever, some will go their way one day. You can try to fight it, but often it will be useless. People change, things change, music change, nothing stay still in life, this is called evolution. And don't tell me ATS is not evolution, it's crap, it's way worst than what it use to be, it is not an argument, it is your feelings speaking, your point of view based on your affect, so based on your disappointment.

So you can decide not to get over it and keep on reclaiming old LP. But I don't think you'll find an echo from the band. They are free and they proved it well. And thank god they are, as J said "music should be artistic, not commercial" and one of the characteristic of art is to be completely free.

But what you can do is get over it, go on with your life, hopping that one day this band will go back to you with that music you love, which is a possibility. But for now, maybe you should move on to something else, try to find an other band who's more on the same wavelength as you, and I'm sure there is if you look carefully.

Just admit LP is no longer for you. It's hard but it's like that.

--------------------

concerning the album, I Love it. It touches me. It feels like it comes into resonance with a lot of things that are important to me right now. Like, keep believing in who you are; keep defending it, fight for it, don't let that world crush you. It also sound like a wry observation of the madness of modern times which is where I'm at in my life right now. But beyond the desperation there's hope too, it's not just anger, not just "screaming chester". the panel of emotions and reflections in ATS is way much larger than in the previous albums, but that's my point of view and impressions.

concerning the "short songs", I understand that a lot of people don't give a shit about that because they want songs. But this album is not just a bunch of songs gathered to make an album. It's not just 15 songs separate from each other. It's a whole, a unity, which other call a concept album. It's force reside in it's integrity.

I've been kind of suspicious with concept albums lately because it seems to be the latest trendy thing in the music industry. But I have to admit that a lot of concept albums are more interesting (to me) than a lot of classical form albums. It goes beyond music. But once more, it's not of everyone's tast, and it's natural.

I'm not saying that those who don't like concept albums are idiots, we are just not seeking for the same things and fortunately. Do you imagine if everyone loved the same stuff how boring it would be.

And about the "it's the best LP ever", I don't agree with it neither I disagree. Let me explain: I've loved every album of LP when they came out, not because it was the best music ever at that time, but because it was what I needed and loved at that time. If the 15 year old me would listen to ATS, she would probably hate it. But today after 10 years, after all the events that happened to me, I love it.

I don't believe in this "best thing" or "worst thing" ever. I believe that there are things that are being delivered to us all the time, things that will find an echo in our hearts and mind, and things that won't, and that's what matters.

Music, art, events in general are inspiration to every single one of us. Things that will make us evolve. And personally, I think ATS is pretty inspirational for those "able" to appreciate it.

So I don't think ATS is the best LP ever, it is just different, that's for sure. But I think it is close to a "masterpiece" or at least a really really good, mature and interesting album, musically and visually speaking.

---------------

PS: Oh and I read several times that people were "true fans" O.O ... can somebody explain to me what that is because I really can't figure this out???..............

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service