I am an avid user of social networking sites. Using these websites along with me are millions of other people who talk day-in day-out about various topics. Being one of the most prolific rock bands around, Linkin Park is one of these topics often debated. I don't think my views are sacrosanct, so I like to gain people's input on issues which interest me. 'A Thousand Suns' is an album that caught my attention, as much for its musical diversity as for its not-so-musical yet innovative methods in conveying its message -Wisdom Justice and Love, The Requiem, etc. The reception ATS has received on such social platforms ranges from Excellent, Critical acclaim to moderate, average and down to the deepest pitfalls of derogatory animosity. As the title of this article suggests, I will focus primarily on the negative criticism about ATS. 

I've been searching on YouTube of some 'A Thousand Suns' songs, I have developed a certain foreboding for the comments section on such videos, expecting them to be filled with stereotypical, uninformed, myopic rantings by one-track-minded listeners whose musical taste hardly differs from heavy metal guitars and whining about parental problems. Upon summoning up the courage to examine comments sections, I find that my estimates are exaggerated, the highest-rated comments are usually pro-Linkin Park (if you know what I mean). I always like to dig deeper and go past the first page. That is when I come across the occasional ''WTF is this'', ''pop-shit'' type of responses from supposed former 'fans'. I pray God I will one day be able resist the urge to respond to such comments. I'm not going to dabble into any fallacious rhetoric about respecting these responses and regarding them as innocuous opinions. An opinion as far as I'm concerned is an individual perception of a given thing, based on fact and derived from an unbiased angle. When that begins to spill into intensely hostile commentary, someone's got a little problem expressing themselves. Upon confronting such people, be it via a harmless question such as ''It's a different style, that doesn't mean it's bad'' or an aggressive rebuke like ''GTFO, find something else'', the responses from the haters are often abusive tirades launched against the band and its fans, ''LP is gayyyy'', ''This is for justin bieber fans'', etc. And so begins a war of words between fans and haters which has no end in sight.

That is just a general overview of the situation, the same scenario occurs on Facebook, my very dear Twitter and on any other site where topics are often debated. The main concern is, what do people hope to gain from listening to music? Every living person will agree that music is to be related to, and should have relevance to an individual or a situation. If this is the case, why is there so much hate towards ATS?. That is a question I will address soon. I would hardly willingly say I hate someone, but a certain YouTube user named 'PHW' is an exception. There is hardly any ATS song officially uploaded which is devoid of his over-exaggerated negative comments about Linkin Park. He is a very unsavoury fellow, but I did get the chance to speak to him, confronting him about his narrow-minded taste. After a hoard of antagonistic commentary, he avoids my question and begins launching insults at people who generally like ATS. I wish to hell I had confronted him about that and responded with the question, ''What is good music to you?'', but somehow I didn't.

Basically, the point of this overview is to establish one simple point; 'A Thousand Suns' is undoubtedly a lyrical masterpiece, an album I can relate to personal, political, even faith-based issues, which is what music should achieve, a 'three-dimensional ambience' which can be applied to almost any life situation. Anyone would agree with me on this, as long as one-plus-one remains two. The musical component, however, is what attracts diverse views. I personally love it, but from a hardcore nu-metal fan's point of view, it isn't a milestone compared to 'Hybrid Theory' or 'Meteora'. It's a whole new kettle of fish, one that requires open-mindedness and patience to embrace. I can see the elements of Linkin Park's earlier works missing from it, so it makes sense they do not like it. But there is a problem when people go overboard and drag it through the mud simply because it differs from old stuff. Such people miss the general point of music, and I really hope they will come to terms with their immaturity before it's too late. Thank you for reading this, if you are a faithful fan bothered by ATS criticism, I really hope this has put you at rest.

Tags: a, criticism, linkin, park, suns, thousand

Views: 192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, but I'm pointing out that some people lack that ability. I grew up in the country in Australia, I can think of one single person from my home town who could a) be open minded or b) make an intelligent argument about it.

I hate to repeat myself but you've missed the point here.

Just because you obviously have a decent IQ, doesn't mean others do.
Your logic and reasoning centres of your brain, which is part of your IQ, can be underdeveloped because you're too young, or because of genetics, or because of upbringing.

What do you expect these people to do? They are incapable of being open minded, and a lot of the people you refer to in your original post would definitely be in the above category.
You don't have a solution, you're just pointing out a problem that can't be resolved.
Yeah, very true. You can't beat em all I guess. I like your insight.

Dex said:
Ok, but I'm pointing out that some people lack that ability. I grew up in the country in Australia, I can think of one single person from my home town who could a) be open minded or b) make an intelligent argument about it.

I hate to repeat myself but you've missed the point here.

Just because you obviously have a decent IQ, doesn't mean others do.
Your logic and reasoning centres of your brain, which is part of your IQ, can be underdeveloped because you're too young, or because of genetics, or because of upbringing.

What do you expect these people to do? They are incapable of being open minded, and a lot of the people you refer to in your original post would definitely be in the above category.
You don't have a solution, you're just pointing out a problem that can't be resolved.
I would love to be able to erase all of the ignorant, small minded opinions about the album, but the fact is, that would be intolerant.

Also, I have a learning disability, I know a thing or two about people being intolerant to an unintentional lack of ability in an area of intelligence XD
almost feels hypocrytical replying to your superb critique of the new LP album.
(as)i have very little time for said sites.
where i make an exception though is when i have the opportunity to become part of a community that is very dear to my heart.
my mates are all rock fans but strangely enough,not one of them likes LP.
my dad likes them more.....no shit.
ATS isn't without it's flaws.No new experiment is.
when the (radioactive?) dust has settled,this band will be remembered.
remembered for taking risks whilst others stood idly by.
remembered for rescuing rock music from the doldrums.
remembered for taking my beloved art form in a direction i didn't think possible.
LP are the real deal.
This generations' Pink Floyd.
LPTIFD
just read the other comments,well said dex.....
sorry to be pedantic,but............."An opinion as far as I'm concerned is an individual perception of a given thing, based on fact and derived from an unbiased angle."
as i'm sure you know mate,an opinion needs no basis whatsoever.it simply is.
ill-judged,misinformed.........whatever.
either way,it's always good to read the opinions of intelligent people.
to think i didn't really like the album at first.
another week of this crazy addiction,and i'm seeking help.
my gps' name is dr shinoda.
I agree with you. Music has to have a meaning, has to express something. As long as that happens, the genre just doesn´t matter. Be it nu metal or alternative rock, if it´s not heart felt, if it´s not honest, than we really don´t need.
The people who criticise ATS just because it´s different are people that lost the hole point!
ATS is an epic album! LP 4 life! Great review!
People should be free of expressing their opinions, ATS gets that message across very clearly too, but it's also ok, to try and convince some people in an intelligent, not in an oppressing manner, to express them without hurting feelings and without insults. And indeed an opinion is always biased by feelings, emotions, experience, education, and it is subjective, but I agree with Stormrider. If no one reacts to verbal violence and abuse and say stop, then all the good human rights activists could have all saved their energy. It's alright not to like it but to verbally attack the fans or the band they way some did, is disproportionate - because it's just music after all - and out of line. I always believed that LP's music and lyrics could help channel anger and aggressivity. that's what these angry people might be missing in ATS (although obviously they haven't given it a second try). It's somehow interesting (and logical) that a more political album brings more controversy and political discussions, especially in the days we live in. Might be that LP expected to start that fire. I hope so, because I got nervous there for a while when I read all the negativity.
Delilah, Linkin Park were well aware that people were possibly going to hate the album and react badly, and prepared themselves for it. Mike and Chester have stated that many times :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service