Now that the single has been officially released, I think it only fair we can now begin to critique it. Personally, I love it. It's a great preview for ATS. It reveals how diverse the band is, and how great they are at creating new sounds. I don't think it sounds anything like MTM. Its a whole new direction.

Those who keep complaining that LP has gone mainstream, I completely disagree. Mainstream has become bands sticking to their same old sound. How many bands do you hear nowadays who sound exactly the same? Too many. Look on iTunes what kind of garbage passes for hit music, its rediculous. LP keeps setting the bar higher and higher, and very few can come close to matching them.

And for those who miss the old LP style, its time to move on. You're living in the past if you think LP will ever release anything like Hybrid Theory. Yes it's an amazing album, but the band has moved on. If they stuck to making album after album being exactly like HT, then they would not be recognized as one of the greats. They would fall in with all the rest of these bands that stick to their plain old sound. I'm personally disappointed that more bands don't take LP's approach and try and create something new.

Nice work LP, beautifully crafted single - can't wait for the full album.

*Oh, and lets try and keep it to constructive criticism.

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First and foremost, I would like to acknowledge that Meteora is the best album ever made and I doubt even LP can come up with something better. That album defines the word "perfection" and is just timeless.

I originally didn't get the feel for catalyst and I've been saying for a long time that I wish LP hadn't strayed from there original sound when I heard Minutes to Midnight (I didn't feel like it had a very exciting sound to it except for What I've Done) but after seeing the video and listening to it again I definitely appreciate what they've come up with. I've always loved LP because of their uniqueness and catalyst is definitely unique, its exactly what i liked about Meteora which was a fusion of different genres that create a totally new sound that offers to change how we view music. I still miss their old sound and wish they hadn't completely abandoned what they did with Meteora and Hybrid Theory but I will be eagerly waiting for the release of the new album (20 days left, woohoo!).
If I wasn't already a Linkin Park fan, this song wouldn't make me one. It's made me a little bit skeptical of the album. Since it's the first single, I have to assume it's one of the better songs, and that worries me.

I don't like really the new lyrics. They seem a bit "group think"-ish these days (using "we", "us", "you and I", the group chants, etc.), and it feels like they're trying to rile people up and start a revolution or something (by grouping us together by using the language I just mentioned) - which I find annoying and overstepping. Not to mention it's one of those things where all they do is point out everything wrong with society ("we were broken", "save us" wa wa wa), and offer no positive suggestions. "You need to know what you stand for, not just what you're against." And the lyrics that aren't about "God" and "sins" bla bla seem shallow, insincere and try-hard because they don't seem to match the rest of the song.

Maybe I would've liked the song if it had different lyrics, but in it's current form, I don't. I don't like the vocal melody either because it's reminiscent of a soldier's chant and, like I said, I don't like this political route they seem to be taking. It feels like they're preaching, and I'd rather not be preached to. I can think for myself, thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service