Now that the single has been officially released, I think it only fair we can now begin to critique it. Personally, I love it. It's a great preview for ATS. It reveals how diverse the band is, and how great they are at creating new sounds. I don't think it sounds anything like MTM. Its a whole new direction.

Those who keep complaining that LP has gone mainstream, I completely disagree. Mainstream has become bands sticking to their same old sound. How many bands do you hear nowadays who sound exactly the same? Too many. Look on iTunes what kind of garbage passes for hit music, its rediculous. LP keeps setting the bar higher and higher, and very few can come close to matching them.

And for those who miss the old LP style, its time to move on. You're living in the past if you think LP will ever release anything like Hybrid Theory. Yes it's an amazing album, but the band has moved on. If they stuck to making album after album being exactly like HT, then they would not be recognized as one of the greats. They would fall in with all the rest of these bands that stick to their plain old sound. I'm personally disappointed that more bands don't take LP's approach and try and create something new.

Nice work LP, beautifully crafted single - can't wait for the full album.

*Oh, and lets try and keep it to constructive criticism.

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh Really? Ever heard of Death Magnetic by Metallica, after the awfulness that was St. Anger, (which also was coincedently produced by Rick Rubin)?

Bands should have no problem going back to their roots to at the very least develop and refine their original sound.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Catalyst, but stop with the BS "of changing their sound to not appear mediocre", no one would be complaining if we had 2 additional albums full of music like Meteora/HT.. FACT

In my honest opinion I think, while looking at the track listing, that this song may be a lead in / build up song for the rest of the album that follows.. Much like Trent Reznor's Year Zero builds up into In This Twilight.. This is a concept album so I am willing to give the song a pass until I hear the whole concept and vibe of the whole CD.. it feels like something is missing, but I have a strange feeling that this blends seamlessly with the other tracks for an epic concept... I can hope.. we shall see.. *crossing my fingers*
It would be something different if it was still a rock song at all. It can't be called that at all. The Catalyst lyrics are just a chorus. With MTM it was creative and still Rock. I really hope the rest of the album is better. It really sucks I have to put them down on a song, but its just too much. I never had a single or song from LP or really any other of my favorite bands that I really didn't like at all. Until this one :(.
To be quite honest, I wasn't surprised. It felt like Linkin Park. The song is great! I love the new concepts they added, and I also love that Mr. Hahn is back.

For the people that want the old LP, you can go and listen to their old stuff. I love the fact that they change.
This song isn't bad, but to be honest, its not that good either. If the rest of the album is like this i cant help but feel that LP may loose some fans which i am very sorry to say. I personally hope that this song is a one off and the album lives up to its extremely high expectations. Just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed.

Mohammed Khuhdur said:
To be quite honest, I wasn't surprised. It felt like Linkin Park. The song is great! I love the new concepts they added, and I also love that Mr. Hahn is back. For the people that want the old LP, you can go and listen to their old stuff. I love the fact that they change.
I think its quite messy sounding and I didnt like it the first time through at all. I have listened to it a few times now though and its grown on me a little, but is still sounding a bit of a mish mash.
i completly agree with you. at first, i didn't really like it, but the more I listen to it the more i like it. I have to agree though that it just sounds like 2 different songs put together.
Kirsty Russell said:
I think its quite messy sounding and I didnt like it the first time through at all. I have listened to it a few times now though and its grown on me a little, but is still sounding a bit of a mish mash.
i like the fact that they keep on experimenting to create new sounds, that's the reason why i love LP, they're creative.

but i cant say i like The Catalyst. it's not that bad, but it's definitely not good as a first single. i agree with what some ppl said, that the song sound a lil' bit chaotic, and that it sounds like the whole song is a chorus.
i guess this is one of those cases where an experiment goes awry.

that said, im curious on how the rest of the album will sound like, and i'll keep on supporting them
I listen to music of all genres (from Rock, Nu Metal, metal, Prog rock, to Jazz, Blues, Oldies and even hip hop,trance, techno and electro), but I want to express my greatest salute to Linkin Park in their creativity in bridging genres.

I would say I was a bit surprised by The Catalyst upon first hearing, and by the second time onwards I like it a lot!
and I believe that A Thousand Suns will be a great album.

Good job LP! Keep it going
I thought 'New Divide' was a bit too "techno"/"electronica" for me, and then this comes along and shatters the new low standards I have for this band. I am not pre-ordering this album, there's no way I'm going to risk flushing $14.99 down the toilet.

This is the very first time that LP has genuinely let me down in such a pernicious fashion. I don't like the song one bit. Other than the lyrical style, the rest of the song is a failure in my eyes (ears).
What does this song mean????????
I really like the track. When I first heard the vocal stems for the contest I was a little iffy because I heard this electro drums track and then those vocals and I couldn't see how any of this could go together.

The final product actually fits all together really well. It's such a complex song with so many different sounds and vocals throughout.

Linkin Park has always been one of my most favorite bands because I actually consider them the band that opened my eyes to explore more music than what I was used to listening to when I was a kid which was pop and minor bits of alternative. I always went with the ultimate mainstream music but after Linkin Park I started listening to everything and now i'm a fan of all sorts of genres.

What's interesting is how they started as a metal/rock/rap band which I thought was an insanely cool combination. I hated anything that had screaming vocals. Linkin Park was the only band I would listen to that was pretty close to metal. Then they had the rap bit which was the real cool part, it was such a unique blend of sounds.

I was really disappointed with the albums for their short lengths. Each one was less than around 40 minutes long and I felt that it needed to be so much more because I couldn't get enough of the music.

Then M2M came out and they totally changed things up, added in some rap, a little bit of heavy rock, then some much lighter tunes which was quite surprising coming from a previously heavy sounding band. I liked the new direction because it showed that they had a lot of talent being able to venture away from their "style."

Now with this, The Catalyst, it seems they are taking a whole new idea and blending electronic/techno sounds with rock. It sounds awesome. The vocals are great. I'm really excited to hear more. I hope it isn't all techno but I like having some of that sound in there because it works well with the rock.

Only time will tell. Good work Linkin Park!!
That's really funny, I listen to pretty much everything and I really liked The Catalyst. It's good to know that there are more people like me out there. Honestly I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion, I have mine and you have yours and mine on music is that it doesn't matter who the artist is or what the genre is, if I like it I like it although I will admit that Linkin Park is my favorite band and I like everything that they have done.
Oh and to add to the point someone made of the song leading into something or something along those lines, there was an interview that I read and it had one of the band members saying that we should at least the first time listen to A Thousand Suns the whole way through from beginning to end and something about it taking you on a journey which to me means that the album will be... you know what I am not going to wright anything here, I will let you make of it what you will and all I will say is that I personally enjoyed the song and that we should all wait until we have listened to the entire album before we judge and in the end I don't really care whether or not you like the song and neither do they, they are doing what they want to do and even said that thy WILL lose fans in the process.
If you do something that is you do you care what people think? I don't.
When you do something that isn't you do you care? Of course you do, who wants people to see them as something they are not? Minus those of you who are really insecure about yourselves out there.
May the flaming begin... :)

Michael Tan said:
I listen to music of all genres (from Rock, Nu Metal, metal, Prog rock, to Jazz, Blues, Oldies and even hip hop,trance, techno and electro), but I want to express my greatest salute to Linkin Park in their creativity in bridging genres.

I would say I was a bit surprised by The Catalyst upon first hearing, and by the second time onwards I like it a lot!
and I believe that A Thousand Suns will be a great album.

Good job LP! Keep it going

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service