Now that the single has been officially released, I think it only fair we can now begin to critique it. Personally, I love it. It's a great preview for ATS. It reveals how diverse the band is, and how great they are at creating new sounds. I don't think it sounds anything like MTM. Its a whole new direction.

Those who keep complaining that LP has gone mainstream, I completely disagree. Mainstream has become bands sticking to their same old sound. How many bands do you hear nowadays who sound exactly the same? Too many. Look on iTunes what kind of garbage passes for hit music, its rediculous. LP keeps setting the bar higher and higher, and very few can come close to matching them.

And for those who miss the old LP style, its time to move on. You're living in the past if you think LP will ever release anything like Hybrid Theory. Yes it's an amazing album, but the band has moved on. If they stuck to making album after album being exactly like HT, then they would not be recognized as one of the greats. They would fall in with all the rest of these bands that stick to their plain old sound. I'm personally disappointed that more bands don't take LP's approach and try and create something new.

Nice work LP, beautifully crafted single - can't wait for the full album.

*Oh, and lets try and keep it to constructive criticism.

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally I am not going to buy it until I hear the rest of the album. Mainly I don't like techno, and I love guitar and bass guitar and neither is very evident on that song!
Well, if they'd get the song up on any UK music store then that would be a great help lol :P

I think it's great, the lack of heavy guitar is at first a shock, but it surely grows on you, I hope that this is a sign of more Mr Hahn in this album, but there will be more heavy stuff too :) Though if there isn't then I won't mind: LP still rock with this new sound! :D
I am sure the album will be balanced...Mind you I think I am getting in to heavier rock as I get older, the new A7X album is awesome

Martin H said:
Well, if they'd get the song up on any UK music store then that would be a great help lol :P

I think it's great, the lack of heavy guitar is at first a shock, but it surely grows on you, I hope that this is a sign of more Mr Hahn in this album, but there will be more heavy stuff too :) Though if there isn't then I won't mind: LP still rock with this new sound! :D
When I first heard the song I was like I don't know about this!??? I don't really like it??? But after listening to it again i was like this is awesome!! This song is very energetic and after all they did warn us it would be different. It would be annoying if all their stuff sounded like Hybrid Theory. Then all the fake ass Linkin Park fans would be like "were tired of the same stuff, why can't they make something different!???" Linkin Park is still Linkin Park, they are still the band we fell in love with when HT came out. All u ppl who are talking shit need to find a new band to listen to. Linkin Park needs our support with their new album coming out and all. I'm glad that with every album they make they try to sound different, they have to set theirselves apart from all those other rock bands. I love Linkin Park no matter what till the end!!
It´s an incredible song, the sound is incredible, the new "Hybrid Theory" in awesome, new and beutiful, . Anyway, i hope this "new" rhythm Don't be in the hole album, i wait there's song more like "Nu metal"...Whatsoever, The Catalyst it's a very good song.
i'm glad people on THIS thread seem to like it more. i really do think it's a great song with awesome lyrics.

i don't see the point in pre-ordering things.
The Catalyst is definitely something new and, for me, very interesting. It's good to hear more electronic sounds on new release. It's not a masterpiece, though. The leading beat can be quite irritating at moments but overall the song is good. The second half gets better with the "Lift me up, let me go" part and at about 4:15 it really blew my mind. Epic! I hope the whole ATS is going to be such a nice surprise as The Catalyst.
I listen to The Catalyst several times, whilst it is catchy, I do not like the lack of guiters, and real drums. The lyrics are also lacking and just repeat themselves over and again, I will wait to read the reviews in a day or so, but I hope the rest of the ablum has a bit more depth, as this song does not. It will appeal to new younger fans those who like The prodigy, but for the true traditional fan, it is just rubbish. Having visited various social website, the majority hate it.

Sorry Linkin Park I for one was hoping to some thing bolder, but not techno/trance metal, Nu Metal to bin metal in 4 years. I will wait to buy the album when I have heard more of it, as this song is tuning me off buying as yet.

All most regret getting tixs for the concert in November!
I will say this, I am a Linkin Park fan, but I grew up listening to Rock music and I love Rock Music, I cannot stand dance, trance and house music, if the whole album is like it, I said there is always Ebay!
I'm replying to my own post from yesterday. I was wrong. I listened a few more times and it wiggled it's way in and made a happy home. I take back what I said about not hearing individual talent, because I can. It just didn't jump out as individual instruments...but damn that takes talent! It still reminds me of Reanimation on another level, and I'm still not crazy about techno, but if I don't think of it as techno and hear it for what it is and who is behind it...I've made an exception :oD. And, I said I've grown with LP and I thought this sounded too "young"...but I'm definitey at a point in my life where I can use this dose of energy that MTM didn't have (I have a 2.5 yr. old to keep up with)! I pre-ordered before hearing the catalyst and I'm looking forward to ATS, I have no regrets. They knew what they were doing!

anonymous said:
I agree with you Mickey. I was 20 when Hybrid Theory came out and I felt like I was growing with the band. But, after hearing The Catalyst, which I enjoyed, I still felt a little disappointed. I felt a little too old for the techno/club feel and wondered if they're reaching out to a younger crowd. I also felt like I was listening to one of Mike's side projects, with Chester's vocals. I love Mike, I can't think of anyone with more talent, but was expecting to hear Linkin Park as a whole. One of the best things about LP was how they were able to make things blend together and sound like nothing else. When Minutes to Midnight came out, it sounded pretty divided, which worried me a little. (Still sounded great though!) I don't know what the rest of A Thousand Suns sounds like, but assumed the song they chose as the single will give a good idea of it. It sounds to me more like a fun Reanimation type thing, that wasn't really meant to be a brand-new Linkin Park album that we've all been waiting for. You can still tell that it's Linkin Park, but it's lacking the individual band members blended talent, that I felt put them above everyone else. Of course I will still listen and love them, because I know who they are...but if I were hearing them for the first time, I wouldn't get hooked like I did back then. (I can't believe I just said that.)
First off, this is not techno, it's electronica. (Yes, there is a difference.) And second, there is a presence of a guitar and bass guitar in the song, it starts at the minute and fifty-eight second mark. If you can't hear that, then you have to check your hearing.

Sara Lobb said:
Personally I am not going to buy it until I hear the rest of the album. Mainly I don't like techno, and I love guitar and bass guitar and neither is very evident on that song!
for your information everybody the track does not have any elements of techno in it.......it has elements of TRANCE.

I personally like the track better than any of those which appeared on minutes to midnight......the trance hooks in there were pretty good and i liked the way how they combined trance, rock, and electronica......... although its still not better than the first to albums or Hybrid Theory EP

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service