So I went out and bought the new CD yesterday before work. (Call me old fashioned, but I like having something to put my hands on.)  I have decided to give you a look into my experience with it.  A play by play on each track with my final thoughts on the album.  It's long I know, but gives my perspective and tells how the album won me over.

Without further adieu, Here goes. . .

I got home, opened it up, and looked at the inlay. I always do this first.  It is a habit left over from playing video games.

I get to the little note from Linkin Park about how this is more art than an album and my first thoughts were "Oh crap! Some pretentious bull shi- this is.  This is just going to be a mix of songs from a group of guys that are full of themselves.  What has Linkin Park become?"

So I pop it into my sound system and hit play.

Track 1 - "Ok Cool, long intro, but cool enough"

Track 2 - "Ok, What the hell is going on here? Interesting...I must have more"

Track 3 - "Awesome.  Good little song. The album is starting off finally.  I love the sound.  Reminiscent of the old video-games I used to play.   So far so good"

Track 4 - "Wait what? Did my CD player skip or something?"

Track 5 - "A M A Z I N G ! I love the feel.  I love the self digs.  The sound, the rap, the flow, the rhythm. So hard.  I love it."

Track 6 - " Ok I know I have heard this little piano part somewhere before...reminds me of something...OH I know "What you know" by TI  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5lIWti4VUw  Click the link and tell me if you agree.

Track 7 - "I think these guys weren't lying when they said this is more than just an album.  This IS something different.  GIVE ME MORE!"

Track 8 - "After that last song, this one is like a punch in the face.  It almost has a tropical feel or something.  I love it. . . . A punch in the face, tropical...Hawaiian punch maybe?"

Track 9 - "Blackout, an appropriate name, because the awesomeness of this song just knocked me the f8ck out!"

Track 10 - "Following an awesome song with another one? Are you Linkin Park guys trying to kill me?"

Track 11 - "Wow"

Track 12 - "This is quite different from the other singles on the album.  I don't think it will make it as a single, but I love it! The sound isn't anything spectacular.  I don't think it quite lives up to the rest of the album and kind of feels out of place here, but remember I said I loved it"

Track 13 - "You guys were really trying to make something different here.  I feel like this could have been left off the album, but hey you are the artist, not me."

Track 14 - "The Catalyst, the song that got me excited about the album. I knew what I was getting into listening to this song, but this in no way prepared me for the album.  Linkin Park always gets me.  I didn't get the goose bumps from this single that "What I've Done" gave me the first time around, but it defiantly made me excited to hear the new stuff."

Track 15 - "This track starts off with a little guitar and Chester's raw voice, as if to say "Iridescent" does have a place on the album you fool! This song is the perfect ending to the experience. I had an English teacher in high school that told me, "The first and last sentences of a paragraph are the most important".  I still have no idea what that was supposed to mean, BUT I do know that this song caps off the experience of A Thousand Suns.

Overall I loved this album.  I would compare it to a well planned meal. The first two tracks being appetizers. "Burning in the Skies", a nice bowl of soup, the tougher sounds like "When They Come for Me" and "Blackout" being Medium Rare Prime Rib, mixed in with veggies like "Robot Boy" and "Waiting for the End",  "Empty Spaces" and "Wisdom Justice and Love" being sips of a fine red wine.  This meal is all capped off with "The Messenger" like a sweet creme brulee.  Damn it! I've gone and made myself hungry.

I hope you all enjoy my review.  Feel free commit on it even if you disagree and say "ThIs AlBuM SuXzOrZ N00b STFU"  Thanks for reading, now I am off to make some dinner.   

Tags: Album, New

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I completely agree man. This album is beyond epic. I listened to it, no joke, five times the night I bought it.
same

Loren Eckle said:
I completely agree man. This album is beyond epic. I listened to it, no joke, five times the night I bought it.
I know Neo ^^ won't agree with me, but I honestly did not like this album, at all. I felt betrayed by LP. Yes I know this is suppose to be different, they're evolving, blah blah blah, bs, bs, bs. I didn't like it, point blank period. If they wanted to be creative and do something different then do a side project, because honestly there were hardly any sounds of Rob, Brad, or David. It was basically Mike, Chester, and Joe. This doesn't deserve the LP name.
Honestly if this was their first cd and they never made HT, Meteora, Reanimation, MTM, ect. Would you still like it? I really doubt it. People think it's deep and political and has a good message because that is what they were told it was going to be. But it really isn't that deep. A lot of it is corny and unoriginal. Like I said this is just how I felt. It doesn't suck, I'm not saying that, I'm not dissin' LP. I just don't like this album, and I will not buy it or listen to it ever again.
Glad you liked it though
Sorry that you don't like the album man. I'm glad that your opinion is 100% different than ours but respectful. I know what you mean about the lack of Brad and David. I disagree with everyone when they say Rob isn't present in this album. He's the FREAKING drummer, you can hear him clearly on every track that has drumming. The style is different, so you're not hearing metal or alternative drummer, but he's there, just not they way you want to him.

and to be fair, Joe was hardly in minutes to midnight. So I think it is interesting that they are highlighting different band members in different albums.

joseph said:
I know Neo ^^ won't agree with me, but I honestly did not like this album, at all. I felt betrayed by LP. Yes I know this is suppose to be different, they're evolving, blah blah blah, bs, bs, bs. I didn't like it, point blank period. If they wanted to be creative and do something different then do a side project, because honestly there were hardly any sounds of Rob, Brad, or David. It was basically Mike, Chester, and Joe. This doesn't deserve the LP name.
Honestly if this was their first cd and they never made HT, Meteora, Reanimation, MTM, ect. Would you still like it? I really doubt it. People think it's deep and political and has a good message because that is what they were told it was going to be. But it really isn't that deep. A lot of it is corny and unoriginal. Like I said this is just how I felt. It doesn't suck, I'm not saying that, I'm not dissin' LP. I just don't like this album, and I will not buy it or listen to it ever again.
Glad you liked it though
Haha amazing. Don't worry, I'm old fashioned like you!

I felt basically the same way as you did about most of the songs. Definitely Blackout.
And yes, The Messenger is the perfect ending, especially the last minute or so of the song when it's just Chester singing with his voice but not even putting lyrics to it, freaking perfect!
And thanks for not blowing up on me like most people have this past week

Loren Eckle said:
Sorry that you don't like the album man. I'm glad that your opinion is 100% different than ours but respectful. I know what you mean about the lack of Brad and David. I disagree with everyone when they say Rob isn't present in this album. He's the FREAKING drummer, you can hear him clearly on every track that has drumming. The style is different, so you're not hearing metal or alternative drummer, but he's there, just not they way you want to him.

and to be fair, Joe was hardly in minutes to midnight. So I think it is interesting that they are highlighting different band members in different albums.

I buy CDs too.
But anyway, I like it. I wish there was more fast songs (I'm not much of a "slow song" person), but I need to listen it a few more times.
I will admit it's my listen favorite LP album, BUT like I said I like it. They did an awesome job.
Thanks for the replies.
To answer one question, If this was Linkin Park's first album, then I would most likely like it...well sort of...Linkin Park got me started listening to music with lots of layers like this CD, so that kind of opens a little paradox.

I'm glad that the people that disagreed with my review said it was because they didn't like the music. Not that the music was bad, but that it wasn't their style. We are all Linkin Park fans, and some of us are Fanatical. I am glad that this CD inspires so much passion on each side!
I'm glad you also said why you didn't like it. And I do agree to a point, this album needs more ROB. He is one seriously under rated drummers ever. I saw him live a few years ago. I was thoroughly impressed. He did a little bit with the Street Drum Core, that was a pleasure to watch.

Loren Eckle said:
Sorry that you don't like the album man. I'm glad that your opinion is 100% different than ours but respectful. I know what you mean about the lack of Brad and David. I disagree with everyone when they say Rob isn't present in this album. He's the FREAKING drummer, you can hear him clearly on every track that has drumming. The style is different, so you're not hearing metal or alternative drummer, but he's there, just not they way you want to him.

and to be fair, Joe was hardly in minutes to midnight. So I think it is interesting that they are highlighting different band members in different albums.

joseph said:
I know Neo ^^ won't agree with me, but I honestly did not like this album, at all. I felt betrayed by LP. Yes I know this is suppose to be different, they're evolving, blah blah blah, bs, bs, bs. I didn't like it, point blank period. If they wanted to be creative and do something different then do a side project, because honestly there were hardly any sounds of Rob, Brad, or David. It was basically Mike, Chester, and Joe. This doesn't deserve the LP name.
Honestly if this was their first cd and they never made HT, Meteora, Reanimation, MTM, ect. Would you still like it? I really doubt it. People think it's deep and political and has a good message because that is what they were told it was going to be. But it really isn't that deep. A lot of it is corny and unoriginal. Like I said this is just how I felt. It doesn't suck, I'm not saying that, I'm not dissin' LP. I just don't like this album, and I will not buy it or listen to it ever again.
Glad you liked it though

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service