I listened to the Catalyst... decent tune.. but then I decided to listen to some other clips and listened to QWERTY again.. you had it going all along with QWERTY right before the launch of MTM, and now this is what we get..  It sounds nothing like what we are used to.. I can understand that on a concept album and experimentation album, but we need some new material..  I am all for continued expansion of music, but do it as B-sides or something else.. You have songs like No Roads Left, QWERTY being left off of your cd's and then have Valentine's Day on the cd.. seriously?

I am not ruling out ATS yet, I am more prone to thinking The Catalyst is a "Cure for the Itch" type track on the CD in response to lack of Joe on MTM and appeasement to fans.   But let's get some progressive songs like QWERTY.. 

I am pretty convinced that Rick Rubin is responsible for all of this new material..

Bring back Dan Gilmore for your next CD after this and watch your fans role back in ;)

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good point. I like the statement about Valentine's day on the album while Qwerty or No Roads left wasn't on it. Even getting rid of "In Between" or "Pieces" would be alright to sub in No Roads Left
Yeah, you are in no position to tell the band what they should or should not do. And to blame Rick Rubin? Seriously? The only thing Rick did was help find their creative point and produce the album. I am going to put the upcoming sentence in bold text so people can see this: Rick Rubin did not write any material for Minutes to Midnight and sure enough, he did not write any material for A Thousand Suns.
Yes Seriously, I am in every position to tell the band exactly what I am feeling via comment, just as you are in a position to comment on my comments. To insinuate that I don't have the same privileges and rights is just hypocritical.

What exactly do you think a producer is? I think this quote from Wikipedia pretty much sums it up, "A record producer is an individual working within the music industry, whose job is to oversee and manage the recording (i.e. "production") of an artist's music. A producer has many roles that may include, but are not limited to, gathering ideas for the project, selecting songs and/or musicians, coaching the artist and musicians in the studio, controlling the recording sessions, and supervising the entire process through mixing and mastering."

Has nothing to do with the album eh? Influencing the band to put specific music on a CD has everything to do with my original comment. I certainly never claimed he wrote anything, but I would say influencing songs being left off of a cd is more than enough for me. I heard St. Anger and I heard the NEW LP with MTM and this.. Further along in this analogy, there is a Linkin Park quick clip where they said Rick Rubin listened to their new music and thought it was great, furthermore I have heard other videos where he mentioned they should change direction on a specific songs.. The video is titled "Something New" on the homepage. I rest my case about his influence.

Don Gilmore or bust.
You misunderstand me. Once again, you are in no position to tell what they should or should not do. However, you can give out criticisms and well that's what the forums are for. You're the one who is telling them to get rid of a producer that they put their trust in and bring back a producer that they parted ways with.

Yes, I am fully aware of what a producer does and I find it amusing you have to show it to me via a Wikipedia reference. Incidentally, there was nothing in the piece you tried to use where it says the producer writes the music or the lyrics. Plus, why are you using St. Anger in this discussion? Bob Rock was still the producer at the time. And as far as that situation where Rick Rubin suggested they changed some of their sound, it was a mere suggestion and even so, there was a chance that the band wanted to venture with different sounds. As far as QWERTY is concerned, it was just a demo song that they were tossing around and decided to release it as is because they had no real intention of releasing it on an album.

Kingofblades said:
Yes Seriously, I am in every position to tell the band exactly what I am feeling via comment, just as you are in a position to comment on my comments. To insinuate that I don't have the same privileges and rights is just hypocritical.
What exactly do you think a producer is? I think this quote from Wikipedia pretty much sums it up, "A record producer is an individual working within the music industry, whose job is to oversee and manage the recording (i.e. "production") of an artist's music. A producer has many roles that may include, but are not limited to, gathering ideas for the project, selecting songs and/or musicians, coaching the artist and musicians in the studio, controlling the recording sessions, and supervising the entire process through mixing and mastering."
Has nothing to do with the album eh? Influencing the band to put specific music on a CD has everything to do with my original comment. I certainly never claimed he wrote anything, but I would say influencing songs being left off of a cd is more than enough for me. I heard St. Anger and I heard the NEW LP with MTM and this.. Further along in this analogy, there is a Linkin Park quick clip where they said Rick Rubin listened to the clip and thought they should change direction..

Dan Gilmore or bust.
i just think that the new single 'The Catalyst' is kinda like a bunch of good ideas just mashed together to make a dud. good lyrics, but repetitive. a little bit TOO much electronic and there is no real song structure. it sounds like they didn't spend much time on this song. that's my opinion. i can't wait to hear some of the other ones, it sounds like linkin park but with another sound jump like MTM
You do know that repetitive lyrics are found in the majority of their "classic" songs, right? And of course, there's Breaking the Habit, which had a heavy electro influence in it.

Pat Daly said:
i just think that the new single 'The Catalyst' is kinda like a bunch of good ideas just mashed together to make a dud. good lyrics, but repetitive. a little bit TOO much electronic and there is no real song structure. it sounds like they didn't spend much time on this song. that's my opinion. i can't wait to hear some of the other ones, it sounds like linkin park but with another sound jump like MTM
Vincent Clark said:
Good point. I like the statement about Valentine's day on the album while Qwerty or No Roads left wasn't on it. Even getting rid of "In Between" or "Pieces" would be alright to sub in No Roads Left

oh my god i completely forgot about No Roads Left!! I loved (or i still do) that song!!!
In my opinion The Catalyst has more guitar than Breaking the Habit, they're just not as up-front.
And also regarding this topic, hasn't LP stated before that unlike Gilmore, Rubin just let them do what they want, just giving them a push if their material sounded too typical; instead of course making them write and re-write their songs ending up with lyrics like Somewhere I Belong? I really hope they never bring Gilmore back - even thought they won't - because I want to hear what they want them to sound like, not someone else.

Andra Lazarevic said:
Yeah, but Breaking The Habit didn't stray as far from their sound as The Catalyst. It still had that, I dare say, emo and dark side to it which flows through Meteora, though without the heavy riffs. And it does have guitar throughout the song, something the new single has very little of.
Crube said:
You do know that repetitive lyrics are found in the majority of their "classic" songs, right? And of course, there's Breaking the Habit, which had a heavy electro influence in it.

Pat Daly said:
IMHO "In Pieces" brought much more to the table than "In Between," even though it was the first album release with Mike singing by himself. Actually, in all honesty I'd consider "In Between" to be one of the most (if not the most) dull songs on MTM! Its kinda surprising how they put it on the album instead of "No Roads Left," which is a far more dynamic song.

Vincent Clark said:
I don't know you. Don't take my wallet.

Chad Froes said:
IMHO "In Pieces" brought much more to the table than "In Between," even though it was the first album release with Mike singing by himself. Actually, in all honesty I'd consider "In Between" to be one of the most (if not the most) dull songs on MTM! Its kinda surprising how they put it on the album instead of "No Roads Left," which is a far more dynamic song. Vincent Clark said:
"I am pretty convinced that Rick Rubin is responsible for all of this new material..

Bring back Dan Gilmore for your next CD after this and watch your fans roll back in ;)"

I agree. It seems like ever since Rick Rubin came on the scene, their material has been questionable, whereas it felt perfect with Don.

Here's to hoping 'A Thousand Suns' is Rick's last collaboration with the band.
I like A Thousand Suns but I appreciate it in a different way than I do their old stuff. I don't think you can really compare albums because they are basically worlds apart. I think a producer has quiet a bit to do with the outcome of an album. LP continued to work with Rick for a reason. Chester and Mike have expressed their search for a new structure in their music. I do wish we could hear a little more guitar to bring the rock back into the equation but, at the end of the day, the music reflects what the band wants.

If Don came back they might produce another classic LP nu-metal album. But, I wouldn't hold your breathe. Its been almost 10 years since Hybrid Theory and the band has aged since then. They have families, more life experiences, and they were bored with their old sound. It happens to nearly every band. To ask a band not to change over the span of 10 years is impossible. In fact, I would bet that some newer fans, appreciate the new sounds better than the old sounds. This is just the cycle of music.

Hybrid Theory, Reanimation, and Meteora were my favorite albums. I could have torrented A Thousand Suns but I chose to purchase the album because I I feel the band is genuinely thankful for their fans. Over the course of the past ten years, I have always fronted the money for their music for the same reason.

Hoewever, I do want to know if anyone knows why they decided to transfer from Don to Rick after Meteora?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service