My main activity today was monitoring the people's reaction to LP's new single "The Catalyst". As expected the impact on the fan base was positive. A lot of people liked the song and were not disappointed about the quality.

In my opinion, the song kind of resembles to "Breaking the Habit" due to the sound effects. Mike's vocals are very impressive here. I think this is the very first song where Mike acts like the lead vocalist ( that's just me). The theme makes this song unique among LP's discography. This is a short version of my feelings about the song. It's great.

But some people did get disappointed by this song. I'm not giving names but from what I saw on the website, the main reason is because they wanted the "old style" back. I was expecting that as well because Minutes to Midnight faced the same reaction, so I decided to ignore them for start and search for more "detailed observations". Guess what, I couldn't find any.

So the main reason people hate this song is because they wanted a second Meteora. Tha't just ridiculous, if you ask me. The band told us clearly when they started to make Minutes to Midnight that the felt the need of a change. One of the reasons is because the sound could be easily replicated by other bands ( I won't get into details ). And they told us that the songs are chosen according to how THEY feel about them. Here's a third one, quote from mike:

"People just want junk food. They want throw-away junk food music that's going to make them lethargic and fat. McDonalds is great once in a while, in moderation. Eat it every day and you just turn into a slob. We feel the same way about music".

That pretty much should've make things clear for you guys. Three god damn years passed and you are want a new Meteora. Honestly it's like being a grown up and still believing in the tooth fairy. Linkin Park has changed and as I said in previous posts, the chances for a change-back are "slim to none". The sooner you guys realize that, the better.

That pretty much covers what I had to say. I'm waiting for your opinions. Hopefully I'll find more than "it rocks" or "it sucks". Later!!!

Tags: 2010, a, album, bennington, bourdon, brad, catalyst, chester, dave, delson, More…hahn, impresions, joe, linkin, mike, new, opinions, park, phoenix, record, rob, shinoda, single, suns, thousand

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The song itself was awesome but leaves a lot of anticipation , expectation and curiousness to as what the songs on the album will be like and thats left everyone including me desperate for the album
Hey Teo,

I'm fully with you on your opinions too, and The Catalyst rocks!
I knew this Album was going to be a new Concept for Linkin Park, and we know their music is diverse, and different, but this song, I just don't like and it does not make me a lightweight Linkin Park fan, as I have been accused of being. It is about personal choice, and I do not like this song. Maybe it is the mentioning of God, but then again some of my favourite hard rock bands have used God or Jesus in their lyrics. Maybe, and it might be that I am deaf (as accused) I cannot hear the guitars, it could be that I like longer and less repetitive lyrics.

I do feel that those who say they don't like it are being attacked and put down as non Linkin Park fans. We all have our likes and dislikes, and different things push our buttons. This has not pushed mine other than to make sure I turn it off. Guess if the whole world read the same book it would be boring,
This message was for the people who are on a quest to change LP back. If you don't like it, doesn't mean that you are deaf. And you are still a fan. The people who said those words are probably are kind of addicts with no identity....Anyway...my point was, that if you don't like LP's new style you should look for anything else. Before I post any critics like some of the people did I would wait until I receive the entire album. Mike confirmed that there is also heavy stuff on this, and I know that you guys are looking for that. I appreciate the reply, thank you very much. :)

Sara Lobb said:
I knew this Album was going to be a new Concept for Linkin Park, and we know their music is diverse, and different, but this song, I just don't like and it does not make me a lightweight Linkin Park fan, as I have been accused of being. It is about personal choice, and I do not like this song. Maybe it is the mentioning of God, but then again some of my favourite hard rock bands have used God or Jesus in their lyrics. Maybe, and it might be that I am deaf (as accused) I cannot hear the guitars, it could be that I like longer and less repetitive lyrics.

I do feel that those who say they don't like it are being attacked and put down as non Linkin Park fans. We all have our likes and dislikes, and different things push our buttons. This has not pushed mine other than to make sure I turn it off. Guess if the whole world read the same book it would be boring,
Honestly, I think LP could bring back the new style, they just don't want to. I think they've changed their tastes, and that's it. Saying "we need to change" is just an excuse. I think LP could have by now two albums that would have been positively accepted. MTM was NOT accepted well. Reviews were mixed.

I won't complain though. I liked all albums so far, and the Catalyst seems a step in a very interesting direction. I just hope that the rest of the album follows suit. MTM was disappointing in that I heard only a couple songs I liked. Those songs in particular are some of my favorite songs from LP in general, but the rest of the songs for me were below average. I just hope that A Thousand Suns has some amazing singles and then a very decent follow up. Otherwise, it'll be a little disappointing.
I hope that there is something on the album that I will like...I wont quit though on my favourite band, I do not quit.

Teo said:
This message was for the people who are on a quest to change LP back. If you don't like it, doesn't mean that you are deaf. And you are still a fan. The people who said those words are probably are kind of addicts with no identity....Anyway...my point was, that if you don't like LP's new style you should look for anything else. Before I post any critics like some of the people did I would wait until I receive the entire album. Mike confirmed that there is also heavy stuff on this, and I know that you guys are looking for that. I appreciate the reply, thank you very much. :)

Sara Lobb said:

That's the spirit ;)
Ok so for me its not that I do not like the song, I actually love it. I think its more the expectations LP's fans have for them. Do I long for the days of Meteora and Hybrid Theory Hell Yes! But I also realize that LP is changing like any band and I am loving every moment of it. Minutes to Midnight wasnt their best work but it had a few good songs. Plus if these "true LP fans" who keep saying LP is dead would just do a lil research they would realize that Mike has stated that the new album would bring back a lil more screaming and rapping and that the Catalyst was created in good part for Medal of Honor...People need to have faith in a band that they claim has brought them so much. I know I still do! Lastly one last thing people need to get is that whether they like LP's new stuff or not it is still a lot better and innovative than anything else out there
totally agree with you on that...LP is anything but dead. There are more than 8 million fans who joined them on tweeter, facebook, myspace, youtube and other social networks. Those "true LP fans" that you're talking about are spoiled people who got used to have everything they wanted ( at least that's my opinion ). Thx for the reply :)

LPRULEZ said:
Ok so for me its not that I do not like the song, I actually love it. I think its more the expectations LP's fans have for them. Do I long for the days of Meteora and Hybrid Theory Hell Yes! But I also realize that LP is changing like any band and I am loving every moment of it. Minutes to Midnight wasnt their best work but it had a few good songs. Plus if these "true LP fans" who keep saying LP is dead would just do a lil research they would realize that Mike has stated that the new album would bring back a lil more screaming and rapping and that the Catalyst was created in good part for Medal of Honor...People need to have faith in a band that they claim has brought them so much. I know I still do! Lastly one last thing people need to get is that whether they like LP's new stuff or not it is still a lot better and innovative than anything else out there

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service