I have been listening and re-listening to Waiting For The End, trying to get an epiphany.

I know I've heard that melody somewhere before - it's the one Chester sings at the start of the first verse.

Does anyone else find it familiar? Help me out!

Views: 1050

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Getting closer to the answer - found Vincent (Starry Starry Night) by Don McLean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkvLq0TYiwI

Still not completely convinced though.
What about that plus maybe Seasons in the Sun?

I keep playing that piece over and over in my mind and its so familiar.

David
ofcourse at one point in the song some part will be similar to another song, its just the progression of notes that make them "different"

actually the first lines "waiting for the end, to come. wishing i have the strength to stand" and the part of leave out all the rest "when my time comes" sounds similar, although this one is minor.
No, not "of course". There are not many different notes in all the scales we can hear - but when you couple that together with their tempo, the sounds of the instruments used to make those notes and other factors that make up a melody - you get a truly infinite number of possible melodies.

It's why most songs suck - why we can group music into limitless genres and still have two songs from the same genre, same band, about the same issue, sound completely different.

It's also why when something DOES sound so familiar to the part of our brains that recognise patterns, we really pay attention. It can make your ears twitch or stop you in your tracks. I almost stopped driving my car when I heard the melody of Waiting For The End - it was so surprisingly familiar yet I couldn't put a finger on where I've heard it from before.

At any rate, I can't quite pick up on a similarity between it and Leave Out All The Rest's chorus (the part you suggested).

Badong said:
ofcourse at one point in the song some part will be similar to another song, its just the progression of notes that make them "different"

actually the first lines "waiting for the end, to come. wishing i have the strength to stand" and the part of leave out all the rest "when my time comes" sounds similar, although this one is minor.
It drove me crazy too. It's from 1974 "Seasons in the Sun" part of the melody and tempo is the same

Thanks for your input Julia, I think it is Seasons in the Sun as well - definitely a very strong similarity shared there.

A few months have passed since I opened this thread, and now when I listen - it doesn't catch my ear anymore - I have grown accustomed to the melody!

Julia Simonsen said:

It drove me crazy too. It's from 1974 "Seasons in the Sun" part of the melody and tempo is the same

Just watched SNL waiting for the end sounds ALOT like don mcleans song vincent

I am a songwriter so I will tell you the exact likeness.  It's the second and third line of the chorus which almost match the second and third line of the chorus of Starry Starry Night.  The rhythm is exact.  They are both repeated.  

The difference is that in the scale, SSN starts on the 3rd, descends 3216 (below 1) 236 (below 1) (repeated) while LP starts on the 4th and descends: 4321236 (below 1) 4321236 (below 1).  If you use the key of C start the SSN on E (EDCADEA), and LP on F  (FEDCDEA).  It is a strong resemblance and instantly reminded me of SSN so I wish they had changed a few more notes.  However, it is such a great song over all, I have to forgive this one likeness.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service