Hi all - with all these tours coming up, I'm going to be loading my iPad with delicious books. For the record, I love owning actual books.  There is nothing like curling up with a book in my favorite chair (which happens to be in my office in front of a fireplace... bonus if my dog is snuggled up and snoring at my feet).   Feeling the pages as I turn them; being able to easily turn back a few pages or a chapter to review a part that I read too fast or to re-read something that I loved.  The smell of paper - either brand new out or aged if it's been read by many.  But for travel, I loved my Kindle, and now, I love my iPad.  Nothing beats a devise smaller than a book that can hold hundreds of stories - especially when we are talking about traveling for a month at a time. Every pound in the suitcase is precious.  

So... what books do you all recommend?

Views: 119

Replies to This Discussion

Stephen King has a couple new ones out, Under the Dome and Blockade Billy. Under the Dome I am slowly reading and, it's a big read, but worth it. I haven't touched BB yet but I've heard great things about it.

That trilogy that guy did, that has that one book "The girl with the dragon tattoo" is a series I've heard great things about. It's more popular with the mainstream crowd (kind of like Twilight *barfs*) but the writing is miles better.

I usually read manga, and, I dunno if you can get that in a kindle, plus, you are a generation behind me so they may not even be your cup of tea.

On a personal note: I love that you are using the kindle as a portable thing and keeping to actual books. Cause some people are using the kindle for everything they read, and will not buy books anymore and that infuriates me. In your case, I can imagine being married to and living with "Mr. Gadget" makes it very hard to stay away from the iPad and Kindle, lol XD
Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'll check out Under the Dome... I haven't read a ton of Stephan King (I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to horror/thrillers - they get into my head and I end up with nightmares)... but the synopsis of this one sounds like one I can read without too many bad dreams!

I've heard mixed reviews about "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series but was thinking of diving into it because it seems like everyone else has read it.

There may be some manga on the Kindle/iPad, but I wouldn't want to download anything like that, because I feel like too much would get lost in the translation from book to screen. For example, originally I read Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book" on the Kindle - which only has illustrations to enhance the story, not tell any of the story - and when I saw the actual book version I was disappointed that I read it on the Kindle. I felt like I missed out on the layout of the page and how the words and the illustrations complimented each other. Side note - loved "The Graveyard Book" and would highly recommend it... preferably in book form!

Alexandra Nofi said:
Stephen King has a couple new ones out, Under the Dome and Blockade Billy. Under the Dome I am slowly reading and, it's a big read, but worth it. I haven't touched BB yet but I've heard great things about it.

That trilogy that guy did, that has that one book "The girl with the dragon tattoo" is a series I've heard great things about. It's more popular with the mainstream crowd (kind of like Twilight *barfs*) but the writing is miles better.

I usually read manga, and, I dunno if you can get that in a kindle, plus, you are a generation behind me so they may not even be your cup of tea.

On a personal note: I love that you are using the kindle as a portable thing and keeping to actual books. Cause some people are using the kindle for everything they read, and will not buy books anymore and that infuriates me. In your case, I can imagine being married to and living with "Mr. Gadget" makes it very hard to stay away from the iPad and Kindle, lol XD
Glad to help!!!

Sometimes book are just better read as books rather than on a screen. Most of the manga I've read have been by Yoshihiro Togashi. I have all 19 volumes of Yu Yu Hakusho on a shelf in my room. Just got started on his other series, HunterxHunter. I like his stuff because someone my age doesn't feel immature while reading them. And, with the exception of volume 19, YYH in book form is better than the TV show.

LOL, Under the Dome is graphic but, I personally don't find it scary. Of course, I can think up things way more graphic than what King can, and have the balls to write it, but, that's just me and my quirks.
Have you read "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak? His writing style is quite different but once you get used to it the book really captures you. I read it about 6 months ago, but still think of the story every now and then. I think that's what a good book or movie does - makes you think about the message :)

My copy of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" only arrived on my doorstep this morning so I'm looking forward to reading it; like you I know many people who have read it so I'm interested to see what all the fuss is about!
hi Anna!!! i love the fact that u love to read as much as I do!! is one of my biggest passion :D
lately i read a book that really call my attention, it is called " God on a Harley" , of Joan Brady , its pretty cool and has a lot to give, it makes u think and meditate about everything.
and , memoirs of a geisha.. is amazing, very romantic!!! , I recommend also Stephen King, I've only read "the green mile, carrie and rose madder (the last two are scary though :D) and the harry potter saga, its addictive
Personally i love to have a book in my hands, i finish one and at the second i have to read another one, I'm a bookhacolic XD hahahahaha , i love to sit down in a chair in a nice summer afternoon, or to be lying in the grass, or maybe in a rainy night ... aaahhh im gonna go to read right now hehehe
i dont remember any other in this moment, hope this will help :)
ps: sorry my english!! it isnt very good, im chilean by the way hehehe
take care!! a pleasure to "talk" to u :D
bye bye!!
Loved "The Book Thief" and have recommended it to many. One of my favorites.

Kirsty said:
Have you read "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak? His writing style is quite different but once you get used to it the book really captures you. I read it about 6 months ago, but still think of the story every now and then. I think that's what a good book or movie does - makes you think about the message :)

My copy of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" only arrived on my doorstep this morning so I'm looking forward to reading it; like you I know many people who have read it so I'm interested to see what all the fuss is about!
I read "Memoirs of a Geisha" several years ago and loved it - especially since there is so much mystery surrounding geisha and there really is nothing in our culture in the US to compare it too. Such a nice love story that explains the life of a geisha with dignity and respect.

I haven't heard of "God on a Harley" - will have to look into it.

Any good Chilean authors who's works have been translated to English that you would recommend?

Stephanny Vejar said:
hi Anna!!! i love the fact that u love to read as much as I do!! is one of my biggest passion :D
lately i read a book that really call my attention, it is called " God on a Harley" , of Joan Brady , its pretty cool and has a lot to give, it makes u think and meditate about everything.
and , memoirs of a geisha.. is amazing, very romantic!!! , I recommend also Stephen King, I've only read "the green mile, carrie and rose madder (the last two are scary though :D) and the harry potter saga, its addictive
Personally i love to have a book in my hands, i finish one and at the second i have to read another one, I'm a bookhacolic XD hahahahaha , i love to sit down in a chair in a nice summer afternoon, or to be lying in the grass, or maybe in a rainy night ... aaahhh im gonna go to read right now hehehe
bye bye!!
I loved memoirs of a geisha too because people has a wrong image about geishas, and as u say, the book treat them with a lot of respect and dignity :) as they deserve it
chilean authors... we have a lot , Isabel Allende is the most world known, she wrote " la casa de los espiritus" ( the house of the spirits) its a beautiful story, and there's even a movie about it!!! , another chilean author could be Alberto Blest Gana( the book is Martin Rivas, and has many others), Maria Luisa Bombal(la amortajada or the last fog). There's a book called " el niño que enloquecio de amor" (the child who went crazy with love, of Eduardo Barrios) it's amazing,I've read it thousands of times but im not sure if u can find it in english, but give it a try!. Another book that i loved is Like water for chocolate (the author is mexican though), its beautiful; and if u like poetry, u MUST read our best poets in the chilean history , Pablo Neruda and Gabriela Mistral. Hope this will help u :) (Im planning to write a book also , but dont tell anyone hahahaha)

Anna Shinoda said:
I read "Memoirs of a Geisha" several years ago and loved it - especially since there is so much mystery surrounding geisha and there really is nothing in our culture in the US to compare it too. Such a nice love story that explains the life of a geisha with dignity and respect.

I haven't heard of "God on a Harley" - will have to look into it.

Any good Chilean authors who's works have been translated to English that you would recommend?

Stephanny Vejar said:
bye bye!!
I love the books by Barbara Wood.

- Curse this house

- Green city in the sun

- Virgins of paradise

- Perfect harmony

- Woman of a thousand secrets

Books by Dan Brown:

- Digital Fortress

- Angels & Demons

- The Da Vinci Code

- The Lost Symbol

Books by David Almond:

My favourite one is "Skelling"

Books by Barbara Kingsolver:

My favourite one is "The poisonwood bible"

Books by Michael Connelly:

- The Brass Verdict

- Lost Light

- A Darkness More Than Night

- The Narrows

- Blood Work

- The Lincoln Lawyer

- The Scarecrow

Hey Anna, which book do you read at the moment?
If you're looking for something fun to read on the road I would definitely recommend you "The Unadulterated Cat" by Terry Pratchet.It's actually quite short and since you're a dog owner I'm not sure if you'll enjoy it as much as I did but it's still a fun read.Another great book that I read recently was Carmen Bin Laden's "Inside The Kingdom:My Life In Saudi Arabia".To be honest it kind of shocked me.Hmm another series of books I would recommend are Jeff Lindsay's books about Dexter.You will definitely enjoy them if you're a fan of the show.Can't really think of anything else right now...
Have you ever read "The Cat Who" books by Lillian Jackson Braun? My mother has read almost all, or the entire series thus far, I can't remember which. "The Cat Who Saw Red" is one of her more popular ones, but, they are all really good and worth reading.

Also, Stephen King's books "Misery" and "The Green Mile" are fantastic reads. I almost forgot about those two.
I've been reading all books by David Sedaris lately. Me Talk Pretty One Day has got to be my favorite so far. He's a great humorist and an incredible author.

RSS

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service