What inspiration and/or message did you get from A Thousand Suns?

I found that the music, and speech's of ATS were brimming with meaning, and i was compelled to right this.  My outlook is a Big Picture concept so bear with me lol.  Also Id love to get some feedback and hear your opinion!

Over time,  alot of people have gotten caught up in our fast paced society which causes us to not be as mindfull and empathic of the crisis's of our world.  Most of us have become slaves of Capitalism which has the main purpose of obtaining more from less. 

We have, subsequently, become robots who drive this machine; a machine that will appear somewhat fair, but also decieves and manipulates in order to maintain it's ultimate goal's, profit and power. 

This is a system that maintains a stream of propaganda that keeps us divided and confused, a machine that keeps us conditioned to do its will, and a goverment dominated by arrogant and bickering buisness men who mascarade as "representing the people", which further the division of citizens.

This enables the continued exploitation of the poor, mutilation of Mother Earth, and of course worst of all War profiteering.  What we do to survive in this society is dulling our senses, the pain and suffering of this world is numbing our conscience, and some people are becoming as ignorant and heartless as the system we drive. 

However,there is always hope,  here's some things to think about...

-When a species encounters a life threatening crisis,  it must evolve. 

-A compass cannot direct us to our desired destination, without the cooperation of both aposing poles.

-Engines cannot operate without fuel and maintenance from the people who drive it. 

-Without the control of the people, the powerfull would be powerless. 

The unity of mankind is more powerfull then a Thousand Suns!

Thats my take on the largest message i got from the album,  lets hear yours.  =D

Tags: A, ATS, Album, Awesome, Linkin, Meaning, Message, Park, Speech, Sun's, More…Thousand

Views: 249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd say you took away an entirely different message than I did.

First off, the album title, and the repeat in The Catalyst "A Thousand Suns", or more specifically, the "fires of a thousand suns" is a clear reference to the atomic bomb. The album basically starts off with Robert Oppenheimer, father of the atomic bomb, and nearly concludes with a track asking if we're going to "burn inside the fires of a thousand suns".

I don't necessarily hear anything anti-Capitalist in the album. Most of the album seems to be concerned with the concept of war mongering and the loss of hope that often accompanies a war-driven society. When They Come For Me is a 2010 song that could have resonated during draft-era Vietnam whereas Robot Boy distinctly highlights the overall loss of hope, lamenting the lack of love in the world and the tit-for-tat attitude most people operate under (You say / you're not gonna fight / 'cause no one will fight for you/And you think / there's not enough love / and no one to give it to).

Most of the songs fit this theme, until the end with Messenger which fits the theme but really doesn't fit the album. After several tracks of depressing discourse about the state of the world, they try to end it with some uplifting beat but it really doesn't work too well, IMO.
Victor- i respect your view on this and thanks for replying. And yes i know what the metaphor for a thousand suns is refereing too. My last statement "The unity of mankind is more powerfull then a Thousand Suns" was trying to get across that when man kind becomes inspired to fight for what is truly just and rightous, we have free'd ourselves from this robotic life and can Unite Togeather with a single purpose. By doing this the people in power will have to oblidge, they wouldn't dare destroy the people whom enable them to have control and power. Thus united, we our the one's in control, with the power to stop nuclear war.

Its optimistic i know, but i always have a glimmer of hope.

Btw, sorry about how cryptic the initial discussion at the top is, i tend to try and use metaphors alot so people can understand, but sometimes it goes over there heads lol.

Thanks again for the reply
Cryptic? I didn't see it that way.

Metaphors work well in discussions. Semi off-topic, but if you're interested in reading about metaphors, get your hands on a book called Metaphors We Live By. It was required reading for one of my psychology classes and it was excellent insight into language we use and how we view the world through it, often subconsciously.
Victor- Nice, ill definetly check that out, i wanted to become a psycologist a couple years ago, but life and choices tend to change things. Thanks for the book referal!
good review,Well for me it haves the same meaning ,that America and the whole world needs to stop glamorizing capitalism ,need to stop revolving around material things,needs to stop teaching young minds that its ok to go to war just for the money (or to defend government issues) ,needs to stop destroying the whole ecosystem or the whole nature just for the sake of money or killing people just to get power and control on different organizations ,we need to go back to the basics, to stop thinking money its the main goal and priority,we have to go back to love and to give and share with the others,to respect the whole world,live creature or human being ,otherway its going to happen a big catastrophe ,this album apart from telling what its wrong in the world now also gives me a big hope when I hear it because also haves the message that we need or we can fight in a positive way to turn around all the BAD in the world and make it a better place for generations to come
Alexander- Thanks for the response, and also, i totally repect your opinion. Its very similar to my own, but i tend to rant on lol. Keep that attitude, it's that same attitude that keep's me hopefull and looking for a better future. There is alot of work to do, and its gotta start with the people. LINKIN PARK RULES!!!
I usually read the preceding posts to mine and especially the ones following the origin of the thread.
however, yours' is a point so well made,further reading had been made almost null and void.
Almost........
Besides my loved ones and their families,nothing concerns me more than the future of this rock we call home.
What vexes me more than anything is the fault of global warming being planted well and truly at our feet.
Whilst the super powers debate on who should have priority on the potential shipping lanes created by 'cap meltdown', the people get taxed for 'over indulgence'.
There is one thing I am farely sure of,and that is the main threat to this planet.
I speak of the almost methodical removal of this planets' lungs , the rainforests.
Hectare upon hectare is logged daily.What is our main concern?
The fuel we consume.
Global warming is a natural phenomena,we wouldn't be here if it didn't exist.
However,that doesn't mean we should accelerate it by getting rid of the things that make this planet an almost perfect equilibrium.
The flora and the fauna.
The coral and the reefs.
Even the largest co2 producing genii on the planet,the bovine and algae.
Let us look after this planet.but without added taxes.
Apparently, this planet is on a one way trip towards meltdown.
Maybe that's the truth.
Strangely enough,last winter was the coldest I'd experienced in my thirty years.(backed by the MET office)
They'd predicted the mildest winter on record.
I suppose what I'm saying is: look after the planet,just dont swallow everything you're fed.
Thank you once again Erik Paul Michael
brilliantly put.
love the album, but the messenger sounds tacked on.
I'd be amazed if anyone named that as their favourite song
maybe I'm being too cynical but for me it doesn't fit with the rest.
by the rest,i mean the brilliant rest,
this album-for all its' flaws only helps to re-enforce my belief that LP are the best band in the world,and have been for the last decade or so.
LPTIFD
Victor M. Reynauld said:
I'd say you took away an entirely different message than I did.

First off, the album title, and the repeat in The Catalyst "A Thousand Suns", or more specifically, the "fires of a thousand suns" is a clear reference to the atomic bomb. The album basically starts off with Robert Oppenheimer, father of the atomic bomb, and nearly concludes with a track asking if we're going to "burn inside the fires of a thousand suns".

I don't necessarily hear anything anti-Capitalist in the album. Most of the album seems to be concerned with the concept of war mongering and the loss of hope that often accompanies a war-driven society. When They Come For Me is a 2010 song that could have resonated during draft-era Vietnam whereas Robot Boy distinctly highlights the overall loss of hope, lamenting the lack of love in the world and the tit-for-tat attitude most people operate under (You say / you're not gonna fight / 'cause no one will fight for you/And you think / there's not enough love / and no one to give it to).

Most of the songs fit this theme, until the end with Messenger which fits the theme but really doesn't fit the album. After several tracks of depressing discourse about the state of the world, they try to end it with some uplifting beat but it really doesn't work too well, IMO.

The phrase "Thousand Suns" comes from the Bhavag Gita the book of the hindus referring to the apocalypse which was destined to follow at a particular time when we became slaves to the machine referred above...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service