Hey guys what do you think the meaning of the new song "The Catalyst" is?

"Catalyst" - Something that causes an important event to happen.

So knowing this what do you think the message of the song is? The song mentions god so is god the catalyst for some form of event??

Discuss.

Tags: The, album, catalyst, god, meaning, new

Views: 19284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

God save us everyone,
Will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns?
For the sins of our hand
The sins of our tongue
The sins of our father
The sins of our young
No

From my Christian point of view, I think it means: God Save us, will we burn in hell for all our sins? No we will not!!!
(Probably) (if anyone thinks otherwise please notify me or reply!!!)
I never thought of that that helps Me understand it more

Gonzo said:
first of all, the song (and the entire album) is great. it is hard to ignore references to the holocaust, however the album does well to imply that our world is in constant danger to repeat the mistakes of history and sink into a world at war.

"we're a broken people living under loaded gun"
before the rise of Nazi Germany, the period immediately following WWI, Germans were united as they all suffered devastating losses on the front line (Jews and Gentiles alike). However, the rise of Nazi-Fascism, the idea of an "Aryan Race," and the following militaristic culture drew sharp lines between "Aryan Germans", and other "inferior" ethnicities. The united Germany was separated into distinct political and ethnic groups under the military might of Nazi Germany.

"The sins of our father"
Adolf Hitler, Germany's Führer, lead Germany and was a false symbol of hope. He managed to lead Germany out of a recession, and built a powerful and disciplined military with unrivaled technologies. His sin was his obsession with Antisemitism. Because of this uncontrolled hate he lead his country into division and industrial scale massacres.

"The sins of our young"
The execution of Jews in Concentration Camps, SS, Wermacht, and even reserve police battalions were carried out by the backbone of Germany- it's powerful youth. The execution of many unarmed civilians caused much psychological burden on all soldiers hence the youngest and most indoctrinated to Nazi ideology were exploited to carry out these killings.

"God save us everyone, Will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns?"
This is where it is most difficult to ignore references to the Holocaust, and WWII as a whole. This easily reflects the mental state of Jews as they starved in camps and ghettos awaiting deportation trains to various camps. After 1943 numerous rumors have already circulated concerning incinerators, capable of reducing bone to ash, and death camps such as Auschwitz.

Essentially, our generation is "The Catalyst" responsible for either: repeating the faults of history; or leading the world into a new and more desirable future.
I believe part of it means we're under government control. And the other half of the lyrics means that in the afterlife we will be judged by what we have done in the means of 'justice', control, and 'peace'.
And I thought I was crazy. You caught my interest. You should tell me more about it.

Audrina said:
I Feel Like It's Talking About How The Illuminati Has Control Over Us And The Only Way To Be Saved Is To Have Salvation And To Be Saved!! If You Guys Don't Know About Illuminati Research It And You Will Be Stunned How The Government And Major Companys Use Music Movies To Install Subliminal MessagesInto Our Heads They Work Off Satan To Currupt The Youth And Ultimatly Have Satan Take Over This World. We Must Not Let This Happen The Key Is Knoledge And Preperation!!! May God Be With Us All!!!
Wow, this was a very intricate description of the song. It's so amazing how people can understand this song in so many different ways. Most people don't believe in reincarnation but in the lyrics of paying for the sins of mankind I looked at these words, not as a christian might, but as someone who sees the blinding light of death. Comes to life again, and will have to re-live this heaven and moreso hell we are born into until we can see clearly and do something to change what we have brought apon ourself in the previous life.

tom said:
There have been plenty of enlightened and well thought out responses to this thread and most of the song has been well analyzed, so I'll only touch on a couple facets of this song.

"Where oceans bleed into the sky", in my mind, points to something much more enveloping than just an oil spill or deforestation. The oceans are literally the life force of this planet. They regulate weather, moderate temperatures, provide massive amounts of food, and generally allow our planet to sustain life as it does. Life on Earth is irreversibly tied to the oceans. Replace "oceans" with "life", and you can see how the current path humanity has chosen will ultimately lead to life literally bleeding into the sky from this planet; leaving behind a dead and desolate world (a glimpse of which can be seen in the music video). As Schwarzenegger said, referring to humanity in Terminator 2, "It's in your nature to destroy yourselves."

Second, I'm surprised by the fact that no one has brought up the fact that the word "NO!" does not appear at the end of this song. Does it not seem strange that a word sounded so strongly throughout the song fails to resound one last time in final defiance to those who would seek to control or destroy us? Is this a subtle admittance by Linkin Park that we can scream and shout all we want, but it's ultimately futile? NO! In fact, I believe that this is a brilliant and perfectly executed lyrical nuance. Does it not feel right to shout "NO!" one more time, and that the song is somehow incomplete without it? I know I've added it on the end several times myself. In the end, to truly affect change, it cannot simply be Linkin Park saying "NO!" It is us who must take up the call. They have left the song open and allowed us to finish it. We have been given the final word in this song, and it will be up to us to use it against those who would seek to endanger and control our future. NO!
I definatlly think it is a christian song. I am pretty lost in the chorus but I think that when they say "wil we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns" I think they might be refering to hell. And the "Lift me up" "Let me go" is talking about the rapture. But thats just my take on it. I was never to good at analyzing music. Sounds cool though,
Good to see all these christians....I think that itself says somehig about the band..
I think it's better to think of the lyrics like this:

"God bless us everyone
We're a broken people living under loaded gun
And it can't be outfought
It can't be outdone
It can't be outmatched
It can't be outrun"

God bless us all, we are a corrupt people who have been stripped of our meaningful lives and purpose by living under the control of those with "power" (leaders of nations) who just so happen to be the ones with their fingers on the buttons. Ready to completely annihilate civilization after civilization. In today's world, there are so many powder kegs set up where a decisive war could explode at any second (if you've been paying attention to the news, NKorea is one that is VERY close to going off). As individuals, we remain completely helpless against this. The world could go awry at any second, and there is not one thing we can do. Each nation has something pointed at another with their finger on the trigger. No matter the outcome, someone is going to end up with a ridiculous amount of power. In the end, as individuals, there's nothing we can do.

"And when I close my eyes tonight
To symphonies of blinding light"

Reference to the blinding explosions given off by nuclear weapons. Maybe referring to a bombardment of Nuclear and/or conventional bombs, as a "symphony" of explosions.

"Like memories in cold decay
Transmissions echoing away
Far from the world of you and I
Where oceans bleed into the sky"

Hard one for me, someone might have a better explanation.
The cold decay of memories, like the cold technology used to send transmissions throughout the world. The last of the transmissions echo into the deep reaches of space, lost, whilst ocean dry due to the resulting conflict. These lyrics describe the world at the end of civilization as we know it. Most likely, at the end of a nuclear war.

"God save us everyone
Will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns
For the sins of our hands
The sins of our tongues
The sins of our fathers
The sins of our young"

God save us, will we burn in the fires of nuclear warfare? Will it be the punishment for the sins of our actions, our words, and all the generations of man: the old and the new? The punishment for all the evils done in the world by man?

The song sends a daunting message, that the world is set to end through fiery destruction and none of us can do anything about it.. and yet it still cries out for hope.

"Lift me up
Let me go"
In a world where the end is nigh, us corrupt, greedy, spoiled, sinning humans still ask for salvation. You guys can interpret these words as anything. I will interpret them as a plea to God, by us undeserving beings, to lift us up into bliss, peace, paradise and to let us go from the horrors that befall and will befall the world.

I just don't really understand why it would say that if they didn't mean that..... what they say they mean so if they god bless us everyone..... then yeah they mean what they say............

but this song is basically talking about how the world is, we are almost all poor and having to deal with theifs and having to keep a loaded gun by our side. when we really cant fight back.... from them doing this/we cant stop them from doing this.

In a nutshell we are under hard times, with no money because of thief's and other people in this world... And we cant Make them stop/we cant keep them from doing this....even living with loaded guns trying to keep them away.

First I wanted to define CATALYST

Definition of CATALYST

:a substance that enables a chemical reaction to proceed at a usually faster rate or under different conditions (as at a lower temperature) than otherwise
possible

:an agent that provokes or speeds significant change or action

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/catalyst?show=0&t=129...

I think this song has many meanings to everyone else. But this is my meaning and how I define this song.

The lyrics talk about God, man (humans), sin, control, hope, change, and power.

God bless us everyone. (The blessing to help our world)

We're a broken people living under loaded gun (The gun of power, sin, and control)
And it can't be outfought

It can't be outdone
It can't out matched
It can't be outrun

NO(the fighting back)

And when I close my eyes tonight
To symphonies of blinding light (the hope of safe place)
(God bless us everyone
We're a broken people living under loaded gun
Oh)
Like memories in cold decay
Transmissions echoing away
Far from the world of you and I (the world of sin and control)
Where oceans bleed into the sky (the safe place that came with hope of a
blessing and change)

God save us everyone, (the wanting to be saved and freed)
Will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns? (the question of the unsaved
world)
For the sins of our hand (will we pay for our sins and die)
The sins of our tongue
The sins of our father
The sins of our young
No (answer is NO)

Lift me up (free me)
Let me go (the changed)

the loaded gun is death there is nothing we can do to stop it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service