I just was curious is to why Linkin Park has gone so far away from their roots? I am not going to bitch about how bad the album is or how this song suck or whatever. I don't mine the guys taking some creative freedom to make music that expresses themselves, thats what music is all about. However shouldn't the guys put out some songs that cater to the fans that made them the band they are today?

With that said, there is one song on their newest album that I feel provides some of that old linkin park style and that is wrenches and kings, it has a little hip-hop, a little rock, and some electronic mixing. It was good to hear something that had a flavor of the band I grew up loving. 

I got into Linkin Park because of the fist pumping adrenalin rush, which a lot of their new music is missing. I miss that. 

So yeah, keep producing the music you guys want, at the same time though, try and come up with some stuff for the fans. If Chester wants to sound like Bono, fine more power to him, but at least give your old fans something to jump around too!

Views: 561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They have evolved and they like this style which they have begun to experiment with since M2M.

I have to say that their earlier albums (Hybrid Theory and Meteora were/are the best). But I'm not saying that Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns are bad. I prefer Minutes to Midnight to A Thousand Suns though. There are some songs on A Thoudand Suns that I like such as The Catalyst, Burning In The Skies, Blackout and Wreches and Kings. They should have imported more guitars into A Thousand Suns. Maybe they'll go back to their old sound one day like Korn have on their most recent album.

I also agree with this comment as well "However shouldn't the guys put out some songs that cater to the fans that made them the band they are today?" - They should, I am all for experimenting and having creative freedom, but totally staying away from their rock/metal roots? They should have stayed with that.

Their first two albums (and a little bit of Minutes to Midnight) just spoke to me lyrically (No, I'm not saying their lyrics are bad), they are still great, but they seem to be lacking emotion, maybe it's because of the concept of A Thousand Suns. I still respect LP as a band, but please do something more rocky in the future, more guitars please.

I think that if they stuck to, "their roots", people would be complaining about how all their songs sound the same. Their's just no pleasing some people, no matter WHAT they do. 

"...everybody wants the next thing to be just like the first".

I believe that a true fan, is a fan that not only loves the bands music, but appreciates the members enough to embrace their ideas. They created this, "new sound" because its what they like. What they want to perform. It was time to change it up a bit. Shit gets boring when everything sounds the same, lol. 

I'll admit, at first the album was a bit of a shock, but it REALLY grows on you! Hybrid Theory will always hold a special place in our hearts, but this... I might be as bold to say that ATS is possibly my favorite album. :) I will always support Linkin Park and their decisions musically. Those guys kick ass! ^_~ 

Well, I can't be exact, because I am not Linkin Park, but I can give you my input.

To tell you the truth, I don't want them to "go back to their old music roots for the sake of the fans." If they did, they wouldn't be Linkin Park. It always been about expressing themselves and singing to the world. Writing music with their inspiration. And well, they are inspired by different things now compared to when they were a starting band 10 years ago. I'm now sure about you, but I have changed a lot since ten years ago. I have witnessed some things, matured some things, traveled the world, beliefs questioned, and have points where I been thrown completely off balanced. I'm still young, so I can't really say much, but I know in the past 10 years my parents have lived through the same maturing process too. I wouldn't be surprised if the band members of Linkin Park said that they have changed a bit since Hybrid Theory. So, of course Linkin Park might have changed their music, they have changed themselves, since they might have different tastes and opinions now.

And to write a song "just for the sake of popularity among the fans" would be selling out-selling themselves. I'm not sure about you, but music for me isn't about just playing to make people happy. Writing music is about expressing yourself, shouting your soul out to the world in a series of melodies, rhythms, and sometimes lyrics. Linkin Park understands that, you can tell by what they preform. It isn't like they completely ditch their old music-they still play it on tour (I know because I just went to their concert two weeks ago and they played a balance of songs from ALL of their albums)- but writing new music, well... Writing a song because you "know" someone would like and buy the CD instead of going with the song you truly feel is (in my opinion) just selling your soul to corruption.

Writing music isn't easy either. Remember in school when a teacher would make you write a paper, a poem, and/or a short story on something that you didn't really felt for or believe in? For me at least, I dread those assignments. I just write it and BS it for the grade. Do you think Linkin Park should BS a song for the sake of a fan? There are plenty of artists that do that today, of course. Those songs are still good and decent, but there is still a kind of fakeness in it all. If you like the old sound, well them switching back just because the fans want them to won't make everything better. The songs won't be the Linkin Park we have always known, it would be something else.

I still say Linkin Park is still Linkin Park. They just been on quite a few world tours. They have seen not only the problems in the US right now, but the problems other fans from other countries are facing. I'm not sure about you, but when I went on a Europe trip last spring, it changed me quite a bit. Instead of singing more about less suffering and conflicts going on then, like they did in their earlier music, they decided to sing about the problems of human kind and the world. They donate a lot to charity. Some of the profits from their tour goes to the charity the regularly support- Music for Relief. They are using new technology that wasn't accessible for them when they came out with Hybrid Theory. Maybe that's why they are moving away from their original roots. Maybe their priorities have changed. Maybe the way they saw the world is different now than the way they saw it 10 years ago.

Of course, I'm not mind reader. This is just me analyzing by what I read, hear and watch.  All opinion I guess.

I just couldnt help myself, i had to find a place to vent what i just witnessed.

Im flicking through the channels and i come across lp playing live on snl and oh my god.

I could not stop laughing! I was never a big fan of linkin park but ok when i was like 12 and one step closer was on the radio that was cool i guess. Tonight was the first time i actually listened to something by them for more than 10 seconds since my early pre teen days and it truly was a spectacle. What genre are they considered now? Cool tribal/lead singers banging on toms trying to be really sheek and "original"/as little rock as possible? I mean come on you guys actually buy their albums when they make complete jokes of themselves on stage with such awful "music".

Too funny. I'm just curious, what other types of bands do current linkin park fans listen too?
I think the exact opposite. Their song when they come for me last night was amazing in my eyes, maybe yours are blurred to a great performance but that's here say. I also have never been much of a linkin park fan besides what I was forced to listen to on the repeat radio, but honestly their new album is making me realize that they have grown up. I personally listen to any music that is good whether it was composed 400 years ago or today, but I don't know if I'd even be considered a "linkin park fan" to your standards. Next time be a little more open minded and let the music control you we live in very uncertain times of lots of oppression so anything that can help to bring us back to a centered location within ourselves is beautiful.
'Cause we're living at the mercy of
The pain and the fear
Until we dead it, Forget it,
Let it all disappear.

mikey said:
I just couldnt help myself, i had to find a place to vent what i just witnessed.

Im flicking through the channels and i come across lp playing live on snl and oh my god.

I could not stop laughing! I was never a big fan of linkin park but ok when i was like 12 and one step closer was on the radio that was cool i guess. Tonight was the first time i actually listened to something by them for more than 10 seconds since my early pre teen days and it truly was a spectacle. What genre are they considered now? Cool tribal/lead singers banging on toms trying to be really sheek and "original"/as little rock as possible? I mean come on you guys actually buy their albums when they make complete jokes of themselves on stage with such awful "music".

Too funny. I'm just curious, what other types of bands do current linkin park fans listen too?

Why should they do something just to please some fans? Why should they do the same things over and over again? If a musician doesn't re-create themselves in that business, he will quickly fall into oblivion. That won't happen to Linkin Park. They are truly creative, and reinvent their style, are true to themselves. They never bent and submitted themselves to the will of people who wanted to decide for them. and good they didn't, for they wouldn't be where they are today. As for the old music vs the new style, there are a lot of old fans and a lot of new fans who appreciate their development. I actually enjoy very much to have different music style for all my moods, and this with the same band, and those same voices that I've been loving since Hybrid Theory. For those who just enjoy screamo, there are enough bands who do screamo.  Linkin Park has never stuck to a genre, they are actually quite the opposite. (That's what hybrid theory means, I believe). As for the young person who complained about that Saturday night show, I haven't seen it but I have seen "when they come for me" live, I have heard the drums played by the guys, despite the fact that it was the first time I heard the song, despite the fact that I was back then prejudiced by a lot of public bitching about ATS, I just stood there, with goosebumps all over, mouth wide open, just as the rest of the audience. It was a really cool moment.  As for the tribal style, well, there was already a shakuhachi kind of sound already in Meteora, and different influences.

yeah, I agree with you.

Reply by Samuel on February 3, 2011 at 10:30am

I have to say that their earlier albums (Hybrid Theory and Meteora were/are the best). But I'm not saying that Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns are bad. I prefer Minutes to Midnight to A Thousand Suns though. There are some songs on A Thoudand Suns that I like such as The Catalyst, Burning In The Skies, Blackout and Wreches and Kings. They should have imported more guitars into A Thousand Suns. Maybe they'll go back to their old sound one day like Korn have on their most recent album.

In my opinion, Linkin Park has not deviated from their roots, here is a excerpt that may clarify things:

"people acted like, you know, wow that's a new invention, thats hitting, you know,
then they're try to put a label on it, so they can package it, water it down, and sell that shit for their own purpose,
they can't deal with something that don't have a label to it,
we are constantly evolving
shit is constantly changing,
it's all about change, know what I mean,
yo! focus,
that's what I'm talking about,
focus,
what you focusing on?
you're focusing on the hybrid,
because that's what it's all about"

Mike Shinoda--  Interlude 1, Live at Osaka, Japan (May 15, 2001)

EXCLUSIVE! Linkin Park Presentation! MUST SEE!

Check it out, comment and rate. I SWEAR it will remind you the old times when LP hadn't gone away from their roots, the great era of Numb and Faint, of Somewhere I Belong. I quite prefer them before the Rick Rubin era, Rubin changed them. I prefer the rap rock LP, where Chester was putting some real tough vocals and Mike was spittin' like fire on the mic'.
I HOPE my vid will remind you these times. DO NOT HATE, you know it's not necessary to watch or like a video.
Go watch Frat Party at The Pankake Festival. Chester says "He wants the music to define the name." not the other way around. Linkin Park changes styles from album to album, which is what makes them so amazing. A true LP fan would realize this, instead of bitching because the album isn't like their old stuff.

My opinion to is that im glad they had a couple songs that reminded me about old linkin park. i like the song blackout,wretches and kings and burning in the skies. Incase for some ppl who wonder what i mean about the song burning in the skies. It sort of reminds me of the song leave out all the rest in the minutes to midnight album. But in there new album after a thousand suns. i hope they have more songs like the old linkin park, if not then ill still take the time to listen to it because i wouldnt be so quik to deny their new songs. i was shocked about the songs in the a thousand suns album because i was sort of expecting some songs like the old linkin park, but yet still impressed with the songs.

But to be honest i think their songs need to have more guitar in it otherwise they wouldnt be so much of a band with a guitar like they should anymore. The song Given Up for example.  that was a GREAT!!! song but now they hardly play those kind of songs now. Im not saying thats bad at all, i m saying they should maybe come up with more songs related to its sound and base and guitar playing. Oh and the screaming. For me they albums meteora and Hybrid Theory are my best because when you think about it, thats the originall linkin park, thats the real linkin park, not sying the a thousand suns album makes them not linkin park but at the first two or three albums thats who they are and I think they should make more and more songs like that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service