Hi Fellow Writers!  

I just put up a blog entry on my website (www.annashinoda.com) that discussed several aspects of my writing process, including an organization that I belong to that has been extremely helpful (SCBWI) and what an important part my writer friends who critique my work are in my revising process.

Are there any writer organizations/groups out there that you belong to?  Do you find them helpful?  How about critique groups and your revising process?  Let's discuss!

-Anna

Views: 373

Replies to This Discussion

That was sort of my first thought when I went on writing.com. Great writers, but very, very overwhelming.

I use fanfictions as a tool. Like, my story "Sky", I have the whole plot worked out, and my supporting characters worked out, but, no main characters. So, for now, I am writing it as a fanfiction, so, that when I look at the story as a finished piece, I can determine what types of personalities would fit the story best. I have a pair of older characters from a different story, that aren't working in that plot, and I was thinking last night with a few adjustments here and there, that they would fit the story rather well. I may even keep the romantic relationship between these two guys, just to have that extra bit of suspense and drama, after all, they are going to be running for their lives on numerous occasions. The good thing about this, is, the current draft I have, will need minor modifications, but can pretty stay the way it is, and even be added to, to suit the new characters.

I know, I know, my new book has two main characters that are both men in a relationship. The characters I just mentioned, are two men in a relationship. It probably looks "one note", as Tim Gunn would put it, but, it's really not. The Charles & Judas pair are in essence completely different people, compared to the Marion & Michael pair. "Sky" is about two people needing to save another dimension, the new book (The Destructive and the Indestructible), is about a rivalry/upcoming war between humans and demons.

So far, the story with Michael and Marion has had two revisions, Sky has had three, and The Destructive the Indestructible has had only one draft. I have another unfinished story, where I am still on chapter one. I have some other ideas floating around that have not even been written yet. Stuff stays in my head for years before I actually start writing it.

By the way, has anyone read Stephen King's new book, "Under the Dome"? My mother and her friend have been raving about it, and, when they are done with it I'll take a crack at it. His books are hard for me to finish, but, according to what I have heard, he's thought of damn near everything in regards to finer details, like what happens to people and objects when (SORT OF SPOILER ALERT), the dome descends over the city. I love how smart he is.

Anna Shinoda said:
I typically stay away from fan fictions, but if they inspire people to write and offer a nice community, that can be a good thing.
I just visited writing.com for the first time. Wow there is a ton on that site! It was fun to look around, but I was kind of overwhelmed by it all on the first visit! I can see how it would be difficult to be noticed there with so much going on. Would love to hear if anyone has anything else to chime in about their experience on that site, or others like it.
@Alexandra_Nofi

Yeah I'm a little cube, I use Twitter style.. lol
Well.. woah :D Your story sounds exactly what I reeeeeally want to read one day! Both of them. I haven't heard of too many homosexual romantic books so 'Sky' would be awesome to read :) I don't really read, but when I do, I really like reading a Hungarian man's books, I think they're translated.. *googles it* Nope. Unfortunately they didn't. Well, whatever, he's a very great writer, he's amazingly talented in these sci-fi things. He usually writes about legends, religious anthropology or I don't really know to call it, so anyway, he writes about these mysterious cultures like Tibet, India, once he wrote about the old Ireland, but his stories are full of action and adventure.. Its pretty cool, I love to read them. He spent a lot of time on the East and wrote scientific articles, so he's not only a writer but a very intelligent and learned anthropologist. He wrote 96 stories so far, most of them are novel.

If he founded a writing group, I'm pretty sure I'd join it right away!
You are all right!For sure it takes more than once to be sure your work is finished but if you are not sure for yourself and you powers it may takes 50 or maybe 100 times to finish something.As far as the Bennoda finction it's not really the kind of stories that I read every night but even that stories can show you writers with vision and power of writing!And about the "Bennoda" part of course I feel uncomfortabe but in the end it could be every Chester and every Mike,every you and every me!But I need your help,give your opinion,especially you Anna,is it right that we try writing something like "De Profundis"as our first book?May we should begin with something easier and quicker?
The Hungarian writer you talk about sounds very interesting. What's his name? Even if his work isn't translated now, maybe it will be later.

Reenzy Bennington said:
@Alexandra_Nofi

Well.. woah :D Your story sounds exactly what I reeeeeally want to read one day! Both of them. I haven't heard of too many homosexual romantic books so 'Sky' would be awesome to read :) I don't really read, but when I do, I really like reading a Hungarian man's books, I think they're translated.. *googles it* Nope. Unfortunately they didn't. Well, whatever, he's a very great writer, he's amazingly talented in these sci-fi things. He usually writes about legends, religious anthropology or I don't really know to call it, so anyway, he writes about these mysterious cultures like Tibet, India, once he wrote about the old Ireland, but his stories are full of action and adventure.. Its pretty cool, I love to read them. He spent a lot of time on the East and wrote scientific articles, so he's not only a writer but a very intelligent and learned anthropologist. He wrote 96 stories so far, most of them are novel.

His name is Leslie L Lawrence :)

Valerie Lost Track said:
The Hungarian writer you talk about sounds very interesting. What's his name? Even if his work isn't translated now, maybe it will be later.

Reenzy Bennington said:
@Alexandra_Nofi

Reenzy, Leslie L Lawrence sounds really interesting. I wish I could understand Hungarian...

I have always had a thing for sci-fi. More so fantasy, but, sci-fi is always fun.
Thanks, Reenzy. I googled him and I really wish his stuff was available in English. Maybe one day...

Reenzy Bennington said:
His name is Leslie L Lawrence :)

Valerie Lost Track said:

Reenzy Bennington said:
@Alexandra_Nofi

hey anna, i'm not a fan of read books, but im curious to read what you write, so my question is, what do you think about books like twilight, which turns a stupid fever with movies and crazy fans, and how do you would react if some of your books turn a teen phenomenon like twilight and harry potter
Hey Anna did you ever read one of those fanfictions? Or do you just looked over it?
I know this question is not directed at me, but, I figured I'd give my two cents.

I started writing a vampire romance back in 2005. Almost the same concept, human with a vampire, only, in my story, it's a same-sex couple. I'm not the first person to do a vampire romance. I don't like the word "better", but, in this instance it applies. I know in my heart of hearts that I am a better writer than Stephanie Myer. I am by no means accusing her of copying me, but, I came first, and I am going to put that story out into the world someday, so that I can be heard as a writer, and bring a bit of class back to literature.

Carol said:
hey anna, i'm not a fan of read books, but im curious to read what you write, so my question is, what do you think about books like twilight, which turns a stupid fever with movies and crazy fans, and how do you would react if some of your books turn a teen phenomenon like twilight and harry potter
I write realistic fiction, so it won't be in the same category as Twilight or Harry Potter. Although it's been a while since I read them, I loved the Harry Potter books - so much attention to detail and as the series evolved they became darker and emotionally more convoluted. I enjoyed the movies as well. The Twilight series was a fun read, even if it is not the most literary. The really great thing about both of those stories is that it encourages people, especially kids and teens, to read.

As far as my own book goes... I would be honored if someone would like to make it into a movie someday... as long as the integrity of the story stays intact.

Carol said:
No, I don't read the fan fictions.

Denise Rashidi said:
Hey Anna did you ever read one of those fanfictions? Or do you just looked over it?

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service