Hi Fellow Writers!  

I just put up a blog entry on my website (www.annashinoda.com) that discussed several aspects of my writing process, including an organization that I belong to that has been extremely helpful (SCBWI) and what an important part my writer friends who critique my work are in my revising process.

Are there any writer organizations/groups out there that you belong to?  Do you find them helpful?  How about critique groups and your revising process?  Let's discuss!

-Anna

Views: 373

Replies to This Discussion

Draft 13?!?

Did you not, em, how to put this, lose faith in your work? Draft after draft? Or get sick of re-reading and trying to perfect something you've already worked on so much?

I think I would get so frustrated!

I would love to be a writer; at the moment I'm having a little crisis after struggling to project the ideas in my head onto paper. :(
Honestly, I think if your book has fantastic, compelling characters, they it would translate very well to a movie. That is the reason why I love Shawshank Redemption, Hearts In Atlantis and Stand By Me, as much as I do. There really is nothing better than getting attached to a fictional character while reading a book, or watching a movie.

Anna Shinoda said:


As far as my own book goes... I would be honored if someone would like to make it into a movie someday... as long as the integrity of the story stays intact.

Carol said:
hey anna, i'm not a fan of read books, but im curious to read what you write, so my question is, what do you think about books like twilight, which turns a stupid fever with movies and crazy fans, and how do you would react if some of your books turn a teen phenomenon like twilight and harry potter
Oh and another question:
I read that you are writing books for teens. Do you think that your book will be released intenational or only in the United States?
Because I'm living in Germany but if it doesn't I also love to read books in the English language.
I hope you understood what I tried to say .. :D
Honestly for my most of the movies based on books kind of ruin it for me.It's great when the actors and the director are able to capture it the way you imagined it but it really frustrates me when they change the book's identity too much.I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books but I'm not sure I can say the same about the movies.And I can say for my style of writing that it might cross the borders of reality sometimes but I try to keep it in most of the time:)
Btw Anna who are your favorite writers or writers that inspire you in general?
Actually you can buy the books from the web and if you want you can ask from your school librady to bring it.

Denise Rashidi said:
Oh and another question:
I read that you are writing books for teens. Do you think that your book will be released intenational or only in the United States?
Because I'm living in Germany but if it doesn't I also love to read books in the English language.
I hope you understood what I tried to say .. :D
AnnaLPsious_ said:
Actually you can buy the books from the web and if you want you can ask from your school librady to bring it.

Denise Rashidi said:
Oh and another question:
I read that you are writing books for teens. Do you think that your book will be released intenational or only in the United States?
Because I'm living in Germany but if it doesn't I also love to read books in the English language.
I hope you understood what I tried to say .. :D


Thanks! :)
So far, I haven't lost faith in my work, because with each draft I saw improvement. Knowing it has the potential to get better gives me the inspiration to keep working on it.

As far as getting sick of re-reading my work... of course! And I know when I am sick of my own writing, it is a good time to take a few weeks or even a month break from it. For me, coming back in to revise after having time away really makes the errors more obvious and easier to work on.

And... even if you are struggling to project ideas from your head onto paper, if you love writing, keep working, keep writing. Enjoy the process.

Kirstie said:
Draft 13?!?

Did you not, em, how to put this, lose faith in your work? Draft after draft? Or get sick of re-reading and trying to perfect something you've already worked on so much?

I think I would get so frustrated!

I would love to be a writer; at the moment I'm having a little crisis after struggling to project the ideas in my head onto paper. :(
Closer to the release date (which is now looking like Spring 2012) I will have more information on where my book will be sold.

Denise Rashidi said:
Oh and another question:
I read that you are writing books for teens. Do you think that your book will be released intenational or only in the United States?
Because I'm living in Germany but if it doesn't I also love to read books in the English language.
I hope you understood what I tried to say .. :D
This is a great question that we can all discuss. Why don't you start this as it's own discussion thread? And I will reply there.

thegluelpfan said:
Btw Anna who are your favorite writers or writers that inspire you in general?
Anna... I know how you feel about getting tired of re-reading something. I usually take breaks from either certain chapters or the whole story from time to time. That helps too, because, when I go back to it, I notice things I didn't quite notice before because I was so desensitized to it.

But, oddly enough, there was an interview that Mike did I think yesterday, and, what he was talking about was rather interesting, and very true to the way I work. I do think very carefully about my stories, but, most of them are written on a whim, in the moment, and they come from my subconscious. I may change around a few words here and there, if a name of particular word repeats too much in a paragraph, or make additions. I like that sensation when you listen to music, or view a painting, or read a book, where you can feel that artistic adrenaline rush that the artist had. Sometimes things which are re-written can become flat, for me, at least. That's not to knock what you do, because no two writers are the same, and no two writers can work the same way. There are instances where something needs to be re-written, I've been in that situation a couple of times. Automatic writing, whether it be in music or in a book, is a practice that I greatly respect and recommend if you want to get your true colors as a writer to come out.

I think the point I want to make is, whatever you are good at, show people that. Take risks. Put all your cards on the table and don't hold back. When you show someone who you are, people will respond and they will love you more for it (I'm sure this is why Linkin Park has such a dramatically loyal fanbase). I know art in general is very personal, but, you are kind of torturing yourself when you don't let everything out. You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be you :)

RSS

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service