I'm going to start this discussion with a short list of my favorites:Stephen King,Edgar Allen Po,O'Henry,Mark Twain,Atanas Dalchev,Bram Stoker,Terry Pratchet and Ann Rice.I think genre wise they are pretty different but they all have a distinct style and feeling to their work which I admire.I think the most influential ones for me are Stephen King and Po.So do share your lists :)

Tags: genres, insperation, writers

Views: 74

Replies to This Discussion

Here are only a few of my current favorites:
David Almond, especially Skelling and Kit's Wilderness. I love the tone most about his work. How even the most simple and innocent description is done in a way to make you feel that something isn't quite right, but you can't put your finger on it.
Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible for the way she is able to seamlessly tell the story in five distinct character voices, give five very different points of view.
Jerry Spinelli and Gary Soto for their ability to write incredibly powerful stories in beautiful simplicity.
Neil Gaiman for his bizarre creepy imagination.
As far as classic writers go, I was a huge fan of Shakespeare and read almost all of his works in high school (although I haven't picked him up recently).
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo were two of my all time favorites for great endings.
And Mary Shelley who created a monster that I felt fear and anger and hatred and... compassion for in her novel Frankenstein
Favourite writers?I'll agree with you as far as Stephen King and Atanas Dalchev.Anna honestly I didn't even remember Mary Shelley.
My list : Kazuo Ishiguro especially his novel "The Remains of the Day" ,because even if I don't like his British style which is so distant I admire his writing techique and the way he discribes feelings and places.
Oscar Wild for "De Profundis" which is actually my favourite novel and Oscar Wild my most influential one, because his ideas and thoughts are so strange but so right!
The rest of them are Greeks such as Kazantzakis for "New type of education" .His style was special he could describe painful situations from his pure point of view and explain the madness with simple words.
Anna Shinoda said:
Here are only a few of my current favorites:
David Almond, especially Skelling and Kit's Wilderness. I love the tone most about his work. How even the most simple and innocent description is done in a way to make you feel that something isn't quite right, but you can't put your finger on it.
Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible for the way she is able to seamlessly tell the story in five distinct character voices, give five very different points of view.
Jerry Spinelli and Gary Soto for their ability to write incredibly powerful stories in beautiful simplicity.

Neil Gaiman for his bizarre creepy imagination.
As far as classic writers go, I was a huge fan of Shakespeare and read almost all of his works in high school (although I haven't picked him up recently).
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo were two of my all time favorites for great endings.
And Mary Shelley who created a monster that I felt fear and anger and hatred and... compassion for in her novel Frankenstein

Victor Hugo was and still is one of my favorites.I remember reading his books 5-10 times and never getting tired of it.As far as Shakespeare goes I had to present a monologue from Hamlet in the 10th grade I think and I grew to enjoy his work.I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read Frankenstein yet and it's been in my must read list for years.I have to get to it.Another Bulgarian writer that I recently discovered is Galin Nikiforov.
AnnaLPsious_ said:
Favourite writers?I'll agree with you as far as Stephen King and Atanas Dalchev.Anna honestly I didn't even remember Mary Shelley.
My list : Kazuo Ishiguro especially his novel "The Remains of the Day" ,because even if I don't like his British style which is so distant I admire his writing techique and the way he discribes feelings and places.
Oscar Wild for "De Profundis" which is actually my favourite novel and Oscar Wild my most influential one, because his ideas and thoughts are so strange but so right!
The rest of them are Greeks such as Kazantzakis for "New type of education" .His style was special he could describe painful situations from his pure point of view and explain the madness with simple words.

Big surprise for me that you've heard of Atanas Dalchev.I'm glad to hear that people are actually reading what our classics are writing.As for his writing it's not for everyone.But I do enjoy the fact that he's not afraid to explore the dark side of life and life as a subject.
I know that Atanas Dalchev's writing is not for everyone but I really prefer this kind of novels than read something like "Harry Potter".Honestly writers who don't afraid to explore and write about sides of life that are too dark or too dangerous make me feel more comfortable than writers that write for the image or even about love :/

thegluelpfan said:
AnnaLPsious_ said:

Big surprise for me that you've heard of Atanas Dalchev.I'm glad to hear that people are actually reading what our classics are writing.As for his writing it's not for everyone.But I do enjoy the fact that he's not afraid to explore the dark side of life and life as a subject.
I am a huge Haruki Murakami fan!
Ever heard from him?
His books are awesome!
I like David Almond and Shakespeare too.
AnnaLPsious_ said:
I know that Atanas Dalchev's writing is not for everyone but I really prefer this kind of novels than read something like "Harry Potter".Honestly writers who don't afraid to explore and write about sides of life that are too dark or too dangerous make me feel more comfortable than writers that write for the image or even about love :/
thegluelpfan said:
AnnaLPsious_ said:

I guess I feel the same way lol.Happiness and happy thoughts in general are kind of too predictable.That's why I love novels that don't follow that path.I mean it's not good to only think about the dark and unknown but you have to let some of that in your brain in order to keep things in order...I don't know if you get me :)
Denise Rashidi said:
I am a huge Haruki Murakami fan!
Ever heard from him?
His books are awesome!

Tell me more :)What kind of genre are his books?
thegluelpfan said:
AnnaLPsious_ said:
thegluelpfan said:
AnnaLPsious_ said:

I guess I feel the same way lol.Happiness and happy thoughts in general are kind of too predictable.That's why I love novels that don't follow that path.I mean it's not good to only think about the dark and unknown but you have to let some of that in your brain in order to keep things in order...I don't know if you get me :)

I got you!Actually things that u should keep in your mind so put everything in order is personal!For example for you is love is the thing which can keep things in ordder for me is loneliness.That's and the basic thing that we're lookin forward to a writer!;)
I can't say for sure.

I know, I would like to write one day. I try to read a variety of things. So, I really don't have a favorite.

Stephen King is pretty cool. He's known for he strange and crazy ideas for books, lol.
Anna like you, I read Hamlet in high school. It was the only Shakespeare play I enjoyed reading, because it's very dark and, oddly enough, in some ways I could relate to the story and empathize greatly. Not that I've been through those exact circumstances, my life certainly is not that complicated!

I don't think that I necessarily draw inspiration from other writers. I'm a bit of a loner, I go with what is in my head and for a Libra, this is rather normal :D

Anna, I'm starting to figure out that, as writers, you and I have almost nothing in common besides being writers. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just me pointing it out.

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by LINKIN PARK.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service